SWEEEEEEEEET Deal!!!!!!!! 55 Gallon Tank 

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I go to my LFS today and decided to restock after my horrific power surge that wiped out all but three of my fish. Now that the 55 is cycled through and everyone that survived has been transferred over i have more room for some fish I really wanted. I was wondering the aisles and I saw a sign for Baby Green Terrors.....$1.99. Upon better inspection they were NOT Green Terrors, but baby Jack Dempseys!!!!!!!!!! They had other Jacks in a tank further down the aisle (also babys) for $6.99. So I went to the counter and asked for the baby Green Terrors, and got charged 1.99. I am now the proud owner of a pair of Jack Dempsey Babys!!!!! They are only about 2 inches long right now but already have the beautiful Blue flecking in their scales. I am SOOOO excited. I can't wait to see these babys grow into the beautiful blue and black adults!!!!!!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep, that was a sweet deal..... now comes the "but"..... I do not have JDs but I've seen that it's recommended to have a 55 gallon tank for the first JD and then much larger for multiples JDs.

Edited to add: You just put the JDs in with your existing stock? Are they even compatible with things like bettas and blood parrots? Sounds like a potential for a bloodbath to me..... but I'm going to do some research to be sure.

Of course! This forum has perfect information for you..... https://www.fishlore.com/profile-jackdempsey.htm

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah i need to edit my info......the power surge wiped out all but my Golden gourami, my female betta and my skunk cory. I plan on going bigger I would really like the 250 gallon setup I could order from the same shop. I just need to come up with 1000.00, and that's with her giving me a deal.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
be very very careful as jd's do look like gt's as juvies..and gt's do NOT play nice with anyone..share a pic maybe? but congrats either way!

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I gotta get some pics up, i just have such a hard time with pictures cause either my lighting glares horribly, or if i shut off my lights the room light sucks and its too dark, no happy medium in that room!!!!!! I will definitely try to though.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can, try to place your camera at a slight upwards angle. This will allow the flash to bounce off out of the frame, but still allow you ample light to get a good shot.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
here we go!!!!

To make it even better I believe they are electric blues.............But correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I cannot get the pics to enlarge but from what my OLD eyes can see, they do have ebjds in them ....GREAT looking fish and my dream fish if they are pure ebjd's !!
I also merged your back to back posts and you can use the edit button when no one else has posted last since you

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquagirl1978 said:
here we go!!!!

I just saw that same pic on-line. Do you have a picture of your own fish for us to look at?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They do look like Electric Blues D:! Nice fish!

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are actually electric blue Jack Dempseys, around here they sell for $39.99-54.99, so I would say you did good at $1.99!

Brian

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I keep trying to get a pic of my own but those are two that look exactly like what I bought......the regular Jack dempseys didnt have as much blue as mine do, and had some kind of grey striping on them. Mine have ALOT of blue even a bit more than what those two have and what I call "leopard" spots instead of stripes. This does NOT look like my fish and this is what I have found for a juvi green terror

Attachments

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am getting confused now, sorry.

The first pic is elec blue jack dempseys.
The second is a green terror.

I notice the first one I think Lynda said it is a net pics, and you say the second pic looks nothing like your fish. A pic of your fish would help. You said you got Jack Dempseys, but posted pics of elec blue ones. To know exactly what you have a pic would be the way to go.

Brian

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ok my 2 fish look like the first picture which is the electric blues, they were sold to me as green terrors. I put up the green terror juvi pic for comparison cause my fish look nothing like that fish. I'm trying to get pics up but all i have to take a picture with right now is my computer which ='s no flash. My lighting in the room my tank is in is HORRIBLE so I have found the most similar pics to what I have, and definitely don't have.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your fish look like pic one they are elec blue dempseys.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought the pics were yours? getting a pic of yours, would be best ...otherwise, no one can be sure

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Still working at it lol BUT I did get a decent pic of my Gouramis, lol but its on my phone and has nothing to do with this thread.

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just wait later on your not gonna be able to get pics of your gouramis and plenty of pics of your Electric blue d.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
whether they are green terrors, regular Jack Dempsey's, or EBJD I don't think they are compatible with your stock. A single JD maybe, but not two. With two you will run into one of two problems.
1. You will have two of the same sex and they will kill each other because there is not enough room in a 55 gallon for them both to establish territories
OR
2. You will have a male and a female, they will form a pair, mate, and kill everything else in the tank.
I highly recommend you return one of the fish. 55 gallons is simply not enough room for two JD's if they are not a mated pair, and if they are a mated pair, they won't tolerate tank mates in that size of a tank.

If they are EBJD you are very lucky. I would really like to have one, but they are not available regularly around me.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads