Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi everyone!

I really want to swap Firesong and Squirt around .. Firesong's tank is in the busy area between our living room and our kitchn - there is a lot of stimulation there - people, tv,radio, the cats and dogs who pop up and say hello to him.. etc - Squirt's tank is on my dresser in my room and I am o most of the day.

Becaue Squirt is so much more active and Firesong spend a fair bit of his time moochin around the back of his tank away from all the external stimulation I'd like to swap them over as I think my older boy would prefer a little more peace (after all - who really wants a maltese starting at them for hours on end) and Squit would benefit from all the interesing things to watch.

I'd much rather leave the tanks where they are - they are both 5gal tanks with a hood light and filters with a gentle output. their water paramaters are pretty much identical and they get the same level of light, get fed at the same time etc - the decor is just different - both have live plants that get swapped about sometimes.

What would be the best way to get squirt into Firesong's tank and Fs into Squirts?

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Catch them each in a plastic cup do a water change and then add them to their new homes.
A little while I a cup won't hurt either of them.

(don't know if that was what you were asking or not)

OP
lyndra

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm more concerned about the change in water - I'm about to water chage so I'll do a 40%WC on each tank.. is it ok to put a fish in a tnak that another fish has been in?

Physially getting them from tank to tank is fine - they have found themselves staring out of large jars every so often when I've needed to get right into their tanks.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the water's from the same source and if you've been sharing items between tanks then I would suspect that you won't have a problem. A Larger then usual water change would help with that as well. As the vet prof I had in my animal disease class said, "Dilution is the solution to pollution." If both boys are looking healthy then I don't think that there should be a problem. I've done it quite a few times myself.

OP
lyndra

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
sounds like a plan, neither boy has actually had any illness - mostly it's been stupid injuries (getting chomped and getting stuck) and my paranoia. Both are happy, I just think their very different personalities would benefit a swap.

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi There,

I just recently swapped around all my fish and moved some tanks around. Ansett went from the divided 20G Long into a 5G that Braniff used to live in, and Braniff when into the 20G Long. All I did was put them in their cups from the store (gasp!) and do a large water change on the 5G and a normal water change on the 20. Then I put them back in. They all get the same water which is treated with StressCoat+ and I put it in all of the tanks when I do water changes right out of the same bucket.

Both boys were fine after being put into their new tanks. The 5G moved out to the living room (from the spare bedroom). I did this so Braniff could be put in the 20G Long which gets the most attention as someone is always walking by it to the kitchen (we have an open floor plan) and I moved the 5G to the living room so Ansett could have his own tank again (the divided tank stressed him out) and also so he wouldn't lose any stimulation as he can see us wherever we are in the living room/dining room/kitchen and also because the cats will see him (he follows them around as they walk by) and he'd hear the TV.

They both seem to love their new homes. I recommend it for you for sure, after your description of your boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 90 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 25 18.2%

Top Bottom