Swapping Filter In Shrimp Tank

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hI everyone!

I have an established 5.5 g with many cherry shrimp (70+??) it’s been running since July with the shrimp in, previously they were in a smaller tank.

Anyway, I have two filters on the tank...a tiny sponge filter and an internal filter..tetra whisper 10I . The intake is covered with pantyhose.

The last few water changes, I have seen a couple smaller shrimp in the canister part with my filter media. They were alive, I put them back in the tank. Well today I found a decapitated one, in addition to one of my largest shrimp (and few small ones) in there still alive. They must slip in the gap in the pantyhose that is created by the electrical cord up the side of the canister. I have now added filter floss to the open area in the canister behind the intake. If this doesn’t stop the adventurous ones from getting in, I will remove this filter and add a second sponge filter. I would like to keep two running for reassurance.

I don’t want to loose most of my cycle by taking the majority of my bio media away...do I just put all the media in mesh and hang in the tank? Is that enough water flow through it?

Also, I change 10-15% of the water once a week, siphoning the gravel with a turkey baster. The filter floss is still always so dirty! I am guessing it is due to the many ramshorns sharing the tank and pooping up a storm? If so I will remove some.

Thank you for your help!!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dont jump the gun just yet you've got such a good thing going there I wouldn't like to see it change unless absolutely necessary, post a pic of the filter prob see if someone as ideas first

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, if it ain't broke...

But if you really want that filter out, just install a second sponge filter now and let it run for a couple weeks before removing the internal power model. Or, depending upon the type of media in the filter, you could wrap the media loosely around the sponge filter so that water flows through it into the sponge, then take out the power filter. The idea is to give the new sponge a chance to become populated with beneficial bacteria.

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you both! I have been happy with how this tank is doing, which is why I haven’t changed anything in the last few weeks even though juvenile shrimp were in the filter. It scared me more today finding two fairly large ones in there.

I would rather not change anything either since everything seems stable. I added the filter floss, I am hoping that stops the problem.

Thank you for the suggestions about wrapping the old media around the new sponge filter...if I end up having to take out the internal filter, I think I will do that. I currently have ceramic rings, white/blue sponge and filter floss.

D59424B0-A0C2-4489-BFA7-51B77AB25DD6.jpeg

The spot I circled is the area where I think they are getting down? The pantyhose can’t lay flat here because of the cord.

Thank you both for your help!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads