SW 46 Bowfront Stocking?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by cm11599ps, Mar 26, 2010.

1. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I may be picking up a 46 gallon bowfront tomorrow that I would hopefully make into a SW tank in a few weeks. I've never done a SW tank before but have kept FW for close to 20 years now.

I've been doing a lot of research on these tanks recently but I'd still like to have more experienced people help me stock the tank. I have no intentions of upgrading to a larger tank anytime soon so it will only be a 46 gallon for some time.

Please direct me in what would be good. I'm open to anything and I'd like to stay with things that are colorful and active.

Thanks!

2. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

It really depends on what you would like to have I would say reef but that's just me but a reef has a good understanding on what to do and what not to do so If you have had that much expreriance with fresh get it saltie and take a plunge it's a rewarding experiance that is a good one but takes a long time to establish takes 3- 4 times longer but if you do it very!!! slow you will see the progress that this hobby has to offer do it to fast and problems willaccur I try to tell as many people that I can that slow in salt is better but they get to excited and rush things in a reef then they lose everything! Money and time so I would say go for it and when you need help count on me ! need advice I will help and other people as well!

3. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I really want to get into salt and would love to have a colorful reef with everything thats needed. Any ideas?

4. Stang Man

I can give you many ideas depends on your budjet! There is alot to be said in this subject! like I said depends on if you want corals or inverts? The best advice I can strongly give you is study up on reef's because there is overwhelmingly alot to learn!

5. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I was thinking about a dwarf lionfish. Anything else I might add?

6. D

David C Well Known Member Member

So you want a predator tank? I've personally never seen a predator mixed with a reef, maybe a few stray corals and some LR, but never a full reef. Not sure why that is...

Dave

7. Stang Man

You cannot do aggresive with a reef Maybe you should look at FOWLR tanks .

8. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

Some species of dwarf lionfish are semi-reef safe.

General rule is as long as its bigger than its mouth, it's fine :). My LFS had a fu manchu or something like that that I can't spell in one of their display tank. (reef) and it was there until they took the tank down for renovation, but its a little risky.

9. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I've been going back and forth on this. Not sure if I wanted to convery my current 55 to salt or simply make my new 4 bowfront a salt. Everyday I seem to lean one way and then the next day I lean the other way. At this point I think I've made up my mind to go the easier route, keep my 55 fresh and make the 46 bowfront salt. That's the easiest thing to do.

My wife likes the look of a reef tank so I'm going to go that route. With that said, I don't have a million dollars to work with. I want to get colorful and hopefully active fish. I don't want to look at the tank and only see rocks because everyone is hiding.

A lionfish is out of the question with my size tank anyway so I'll go with other things. A clownfish and an anemone are definitive. The anemone won't be added till after a few months.

Some other things we are considering are firefish goby, some cleaner shrimp, wrasse and others.....

I want people to KNOW it's a SW tank by simply looking at the fish and their colors. Thanks for your future suggestions and comments.

10. Stang Man

Make sure you have the right type of lighting for anenome or corals. it's well worth the money spent to have these type of critters! As well as the looks of the tank.i would say go for it!

11. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

12. Stang Man

In order to have a established reef you will need some inverts and coral to acheive any invert or coral reef. All that you listed except anenonme and star fish are not good with some types of corals.

13. ATP

I'm confused about what you're tyring to say. Everything in the links are fine in reef tanks.

btw, some people like to keep some inverts. I keep tons of them. They make my job easier by eating algae and clean off the bottom a little bit.

14. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

Glad I"m not the only one. lol

Would I be able to keep all the above items together in my 46 bowfront? I'm thinking around 50 lbs of rock

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  15. Sarrixx

Sarrixx Valued Member Member

16. Sarrixx

It depends on how many of each fish you want!

From that list, I would go with:
    2 Ocellaris Clowns
    1 Bicolor Pseudochromis (or maybe even a Royal Gramma)
    1 Watchman Goby
    1 Firefish (Possibly 2 but that could be pushing it a bit)

As for the CuC (clean up crew)
    1 Banded Coral Shrimp
    1 Red Starfish
    A bunch of Micro-Brittle Stars
    5 or 6 Nassarius Snails
    4 or 5 Cerith Snails
    4 or 5 Nerite Snails

As well as a mixed variety of corals (dependant on your lighting set up)

17. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+604&pcatid=604

So a good anemone would be this one? Works for me if it is. lol

If I get 2 clowns, would I need 2 anemones? Is it better to go with 2 clowns? Could I go with 1 clown and perhaps another fish to have variety? If so, what fish? The anemone is still a LONG way off anyway since the tank is still in my garage. Even if I set the tank up today I wouldn't be able to add one till after New Years anyway.

Also, the tank is a 46 bowfront which makes it 3' wide. What's a good middle of the road light setup to get? I have no experience with moon lights or anything else other than my basic florescent T8 on my FW 55.

18. ATP

More CUC. I wouldn't really put a list for CUC. I just by a ton of them whenever my LFS has a sale. Which is twice a year for two stores and once a year for one. So whenever its on sale I just buy 10 of each I have in my tank to stok up (they do die). To start up is up to you IMO. Buy how many you think you will need.

I suggest over 15 astrea, over 15 scarlet hermits, 5 turbo snails as a start, but add more if its kind of hard to control. I don't deal with the others. Nassarius are important if you have a sandbed (which i don't because there's more benefit to not have one imo).

btw, coral banded shrimp and corrals isn't a CUC. The shrimp picks food from corals.

19. Sarrixx

That would be a good nem to start off with. You only need 1 nem your clownfish, theyll both host it. If you have 2 clowns (don't quote me on this, iI am not entirely sure) but they sort of keep each other in check and that way are less likely to pick on other fish in your tank - not that occelaris are one of the more aggressive types of clowns, im pretty sure they are a little more peaceful than most.
    As for another fish, really depends on what you had in mind. Possibly one more teeny one but that could really would be pushing it IMO.
    T8's will not suffice for an anemone, they would only really be good for soft corals and zoas I think.
    For the nem, at the very least you would want to consider a 4x54w T5 HO fixture, but if you aren't short on cash then go the full mile and get some Metal Hallides. Nems also like some good flow in your tank.

20. Sarrixx

Hahaha I didn't mean corals as part of the CuC, because I know they aren't :p
    As for the coral banded, I have this horrible habit of saying CuC and inverts as the same thing. Lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice