Sutable Lighting For A Reef Tank

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, so I'm currently running my coral under a cheapo 6.5W RGB led light, they look happy enough but I've noticed the colours starting to fade, I know this is not an adequate light and I need to upgrade asap. I have 3 quick questions about the light...

1.) How long will my coral survive under this light?

2.) Is this light any good? (An e27 bulb) has anybody had any experience with them?

3.) If it isn't adequate can anyone suggest a really REALLY cheap light that's available?

Thanks,
Ethan

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No idea. It depends on what corals you have, and how much you feed, ect.

That light should work well. It says its PAR38 right? How big is your tank? @Lorekeeper uses one on his 5, and I believe it works very well. It will screw into most desklamps tha will take a standard light bulb.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not sure how I missed this one!

Definitely depends on exact tank dimensions, what you're aiming to keep, etc...

But I've found this seller to give quality products. I just ordered my 3rd light from them, and the two that I have work quite well. Good color, and my corals seem to be happy with it. I'd say I could get away with some SPS in my 5.5 with one of the 21W bulbs. I'm going to be using two of the 21W bulbs over my 10 gallon.

Depending on your tank dimensions (I feel like you may have had a taller tank, although I'm not 100% sure) you'll probably want to choose a higher wattage bulb. For a 10 gallon, I'd go with two 21W bulbs, for good coverage. For a 20, 2 36W bulbs. If you post your tank size here, I can recommend a bulb a bit better.

Build quality is pretty nice, believe it or not. The 18W bulb is sturdy, and didn't break in shipping, or after I dropped it onto my hardwood floor from standing height. They don't run that hot, either. I use some cheapo Walmart 40W desk lamps, and have never had issues. It's functional, but not extremely pretty. If you're wanting something a bit more uniform, look into some clip-on fixtures that you can screw these bulbs into.

You will want to remove the lenses on the bulb. It focuses the light FAR too much to be usable in anything but a small cube or maybe to light a frag rack in a dim tank, so you'll have to get a bit creative with that. On the 15W bulb, the lens simply screws off. On the 18W, you have to pry it off with something. Not difficult, and definitely not a deal breaker.

Shipping does take a few weeks (they're coming from China, so I'm not sure how the UK handles that), but it's worth it when they do arrive. If you've got your heart set on the bulbs you linked (the link doesn't work for me), then they should work similarly, I just can't speak for build quality with those bulbs. It looks like the seller might be the same, or might be selling the same products, so you may get the same bulb from the link you posted anyway.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi, the lights are the same, different sellers but same product , the tank is 50L and 33cm front and back. I. Forget how deep, around 45cm? But that's not exact.

I plank on keeping manly soft and lps corals with the aim of keeping something like montipora or acropora I the far future (in the top reagon of the tank) if you would like a list of coral I can post if any need any special lighting requirements.

I could probably find a clip on gooseneck from IKEA or something .

Ethan

This would be perfect
Lampwin LED Grow Light 10W Full Spectrum Dual Head Plant Lamp Neck 360°Flexible Double Switch for Hydroponic Greenhouse Plant https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07355GCNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UBR6AbDN8GP7S

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lorekeeper said:
There ya go! I'm planning one using two the 21W for a mixed reef (mostly softies and LPS, but some SPS too) so I think it should work great.
Great! My only concern is that it says it's for a 10W , will this still be ok for the 21W?

I'm only going to get one bulb at the moment and the other in a few days, for financial reasons

Ethan

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If the fixture is only rated for 10W, then it will not work. You can use a lower wattage bulb with a higher wattage fixture, but not the other way around.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lorekeeper said:
If the fixture is only rated for 10W, then it will not work. You can use a lower wattage bulb with a higher wattage fixture, but not the other way around.
Ok, it's hard to find anything above 10W️. Although I'll keep looking, that one wouldn't have been good as it came with non removable bulbs. Didn't you say you get t yours from walmart? I'll have a look in Asda (UK version owned by Walmart) but I doubt they will have anything. I'll keep on looking around for something suitable. So would 2 21W bulbs be sufficient?

Ethan

Bingo....
Baoblaze Gooseneck Reptile Lamp Holder with Ceramic Infrared Heat Bulb E27 Base UK Plug - Black, 20W

I could get the 100W so I have expantion room in the future, how high above the tank should the bulb be held? And does it look sutable to you?

Ethan

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That looks fine to me.

I just set up my 10 gallon with one 21W bulb. It's a bit dim, even just a few inches above the water. I'd keep it as close as you can until you get a second bulb.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lorekeeper said:
That looks fine to me.

I just set up my 10 gallon with one 21W bulb. It's a bit dim, even just a few inches above the water. I'd keep it as close as you can until you get a second bulb.
Ok, I'll send off for the stuff later then. I'll keep you updated when they arrive ect...

Ethan

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Stuff is on its way, due to arrive at the end of the month so ill post pics when it's all set up.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi,
So this is a follow on from my previous post about an E27 bulb, well it arrived today and I need to return the fixture as I don't think it's adequate, will the one 21 watt bulb work for my 50liter reef or should I look Into getting another one?

@Lorekeeper was in the last post.

Ethan

Hi, bulb arrived , are you sure it's safe with the lense off? It looks a bit scetchy?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Coradee said:
Threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place
@Coradee Thanks, only found the second thread last night

Everyone else: ive got the light all setup, do you guys think it looks too dim?
20180522_165007.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom