Sustainable Environment Discussion, Carrying Capacity

RuralGuppykeeper

I thought the sustainable environment (such as the number of healthy fish in our aquariums maintained in the long run), is a different perspective and context to consider. I'm hoping it will be constructive to focus on the context, perhaps of designing a more sustainable aquarium environment, and becoming familiar with the knowledge behind it. The carrying capacity may vary, due to varying factors, which may include limiting factors. I'm not aiming to get into numbers, but we can do so for a 10 gallon guppy aquarium to help illustrate, if we want to.

Relevant links:
https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/aqua...-capacity-when-one-more-fish-is-one-too-many/
Focus on Your Limiting Factor – Advanced Aquarium Concepts.
https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/aqua...s-of-fishkeeping-good-advice-never-grows-old/
Fishlore nitrogen cycle link: Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

I will make an educated guess that the carrying capacity of my 10 gallon guppy aquarium is zero if any aspect is simply unsuitable for the fish in question to survive at all. This could be due to no water (tank leaked), too cold water temperature (heater broke), too hot water temperature (heater is 'stuck on'), or too extreme in pH, hardness, or anything else. The nitrogen cycle is excellent to keep in mind, but there are other factors to consider too.
Assuming I maintain all the factors to be a suitable environment for the guppies, namely through routine maintenance (gravel vaccuming/water changes for example), I can adjust the maximum number of fish I can nurture to be healthy with thoughtful changes. I could do this through an aquarium or sump with more air/water surface area, adding more plants (or perhaps an 'algae scrubber' to intentionally grow algae, more frequent gravel vacuuming (which doubles as my water changes), or adding more aquariums with the same suitable environment. Granted, this works up until something fails, such as the electric going out and the generator needs a new part or something, at which point the carrying capacity in the aquarium decreases according to the factors effected (no heat, no man-made filter running) .

RuralGuppykeeper

Another Relevant link:
A Youtube video titled "Aerobic vs Anaerobic vs Anoxic Filtration - Understanding Beneficial Bacteria - Filtration 101" by Bentley Pascoe

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
fish 321
  • Question
Replies
Views
Catappa
Replies
Views