Suspicious Clean Water? Funny

1. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

It really confuses me how a heavily fed and stocked tank can be do clean. My twenty gallon has who knows how many Guppies and Assassin Snails. It is heavily planted. A few years back it had 40 plus nitrates. Now it has barely any. I guess the Guppy Grass could have done that?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

It would take a lot of guppy grass but it's possible. Some of my guppy tanks are heavily stocked and nitrates stay under control with smallish WCs. I do larger WCs anyway but nitrates stay low between changes.

3. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Does this look like enough?

4. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Top picture no, bottom picture maybe. The extremely fast growing water column feeders pull far more nitrates out.

5. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

That sink :eek:

6. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I am confused on what you are saying?

7. Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

It's surprising how much difference plants make. My 330gal had over 20 American cichlids and 10+ BN plecos and various other fish and I had times where I had to go 3 months with out a decent water change due to heavy work schedule and my nitrates never went above 10ppm and that was with a decent live/frozen diet

8. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Thank you, I have heard that semi aquatic plants remove more nutrients?

9. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Of course they did. Plants will eat ammonia over nitrate. Because of this not a lot of ammonia gets converted into nitrate. That is your case. Not a lot of ammonia converted into nitrate and the few that did convert into nitrate was quickly taken care of. I have no experience with guppy grass but IME hornwort is better than beneficial bacteria lol.

10. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I am just surprised that with that many Guppies, Snails, and very heavy feeding. I prefer Guppy Grass. Another cool thing about Guppy Grass is that a lot of micro organisms grow on it and provide food.

11. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Hornwort is almost the same as guppy grass, also grows infusoria. The Pothos probably helped a lot too. Pretty cool! I would love to see the Pothos root system lol.

12. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's some pics from my other tank.

13. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I intend to test that theory in two similarly stocked tanks very soon. I would say hornwort foliage is roughly two times as dense as GP, perhaps more. But GP definitely grows a bit faster in stem length.

14. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I have heard that hornwort sheds its leaves.

15. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Only when it isn't happy. If it is getting decent light and a bit of nutrients it grows stupid fast and dense. I have the shedding leaves problem with anacharis in a low tech tank. All these weeds will take over a tank if you feed them a little. Overstocking a tank feeds them if you don't go crazy with WCs.

16. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I tend to do fifty percent water changes weekly. Do you think the mangroves are a big part?

17. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I have no experience with mangroves and don't know how much nitrate they consume.

18. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Okay, I am surprised my system worked. I always thought of it as more decoration.

19. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I'd plant oak trees in my tank if I thought it would work. Natural nitrate removal is a wonderful thing :)

20. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

It is, I have heard some people use willow trees. I feel super guilty if I don't do water changes. I skipped a few recently because I was in the hospital. I missed them and phones aren't allowed.