55 Gallon Tank Suspected ich in newly cycling tank

WendysJungle
I'm posting this in the beginner's section because I am a "beginning again" fishkeeper! I have had various freshwater, freshwater planted, and saltwater reef tanks over the years, but am just getting back into fishkeeping after close to 10 years away, and I'm sure some of my knowledge is out of date. Also, I never remember encountering this particular situation before.

I just set up my new 55 g freshwater aquarium on Saturday (9/17). I dechlorinated the water and let the tank run for a little over 24 hours, then on 9/18 added Tetra Safe Start and 3 flame gouramis to cycle the tank. The gouramis were shy so it was hard to get a good look at them for the first day or two, but now they have identified me as The Keeper Of The Food and swim right up to me. Today (9/20) I see that one of them has a single white spot on one fin. No other spots visible on anyone. So, given where I am in the cycling process, do I go ahead and treat the tank for ich, wait a bit, or what??

I'm running a Penguin BioWheel Power Filter 350, and have the temp set at 78 degrees. Tank has no live plants at this time, only artificial (African Tiger Lotus still in transit!), and gravel substrate. I also use an air pump and bubble wall to provide additional aeration. Fish are active, eating well, and showing no signs of distress. I haven't tested the water levels yet because the Master Test Kit that was supposed to be in the box with the rest of the supplies I ordered is "delayed" , but I can get the water tested for free at my local Petsmart if need be.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Wendy

catsma_97504
Welcome to Fishlore Wendy.

As you have only a single spot, I'd watch to see if it actually is ICH as your tank is cycling. If the spots increase, and you know you have ICH, I suggest following the natural treatment. There is a link in my signature that should help.

TSS is only on day 3. And, it shouldn't be tested for 10 days, unless the fish become stressed. If you take a water sample to PetSmart this soon, you'll have measurable ammonia and maybe nitrite and they'll want to sell you a lot of products that could interfere with TSS.

Good luck.

Brainlady
Just wanted to add to the excellent advice by Dena that I had ICH once and I treated it by raising the temperature in my tank to around 83 if memory serves. I didn't lose any fish and I just kept the 'heat on' for about 2 weeks. I am hoping it is not ICH, but if it is you can try raising the heat instead of adding a ton of chemicals.

WendysJungle
Thanks catsma! I have been avoiding all the products that Petsmart has been pushing (and boy do they push!) so far because I read the letter from Tetra regarding TSS that someone was WONDERFUL enough to post (great information!!! TSS wasn't around the last time I was fishkeeping, so it's a new product for me!). I'll keep an eye on the fish and then try the natural method you linked to if spots start to develop. I much prefer natural to dumping a bunch of chemicals into the tank when it is so new and trying to establish. One thing I do remember is that too many chemicals too soon can disrupt the process so badly it never seems to establish correctly after that, and becomes a big fishy coffin.

I'm going to try to post a pic of my tank with this reply, let's see if I have figured out the process....

Thanks for your help!!

WendysJungle
Thanks Brainlady, I'm also hoping it's not ICH as well, but if it is I will definitely go natural before resorting to the chemical route! Maybe the chemical treatments have vastly improved in the last 10 years, but my past experience with them convinced me they should only be a last resort!

nandemonai
Should still be used as a last resort in my opinion. Good luck with it all, hope it all works out.

Nice looking tank btw

WendysJungle
Thanks nandemonai, nice to know that not ALL of my knowledge is out of date!

catsma_97504
Yes, the heat treatment works best for treating ICH. But, I'm not sure if the extra heat could kill TSS. It needs to be raised to 86F to kill the spores, and you need to do water changes. Another reason for waiting. That article will be helpful.

Something you could do now....

Mince a fresh garlic clove. Add a few drops of water to make a paste. Then soak their food in a small portion of the garlic and feed it to them. Garlic has antifungal properties and a mild antibacterial agent to help bolster the fish immune systems. It might give you the extra edge.

WendysJungle
Thanks, I'll give the garlic a try! Since the tank is cycling, the stronger their little immune systems are the better! All I have in the house at the moment is the pre-minced stuff in the jar, but it is the kind in water, not oil, so is that okay to use? Should I smash it up further, or is minced okay? Does the actual garlic go into the tank, or just the soaked food?

catsma_97504
Yes, garlic in water is good for fish. I soak for fish food in it and then drop the food and garlic into the tank. Fish will eat it. They also like fresh fruits and vegys. After your tank cycles, you can experiment with small pieces to see what they'd like. Remove uneated foods the following day.

WendysJungle
Fish Food a la Garlic coming up! x

Edit: Wow, they liked that garlic! I'm tempted to give them an after dinner mint.;D

catsma_97504
That's great! My fish go nuts over the garlic too. And it's healthy for them

Aquarist
Good morning,

Beautiful tank and stand! Thanks for sharing the photos.

I use Garlic Guard twice a week on my fishes treats. They love it. Garlic Juice in jars has been covered and so has fresh garlic so I'll skip those:

Too, Vita Chem for additional vitamins will be beneficial for your fish. Follow the directions on the label:

I have also used the increased heat method for treating ICH with a 100% survival rate.

"After dinner mint"
Best wishes for your tank and fish!

Ken

WendysJungle
Thanks Ken, I'll take a look at those products, and will definitely be trying the heat method if this does turn out to be ICH. So far it's still just the one spot on the one guy's fin, but I'm keeping a close watch.

I can't believe how much my fish love that minced garlic! They even clean up the dropped pieces off the gravel, nothing left behind. Who knew??

Aquarist
Good morning,

Any of the Garlic methods you use will do nicely for your fish I'm glad they are enjoying it!

Since you are only seeing 1 white spot on the fish, more than likely it is NOT Ich.

I have 1 Bloody Parrot that has had 1 white spot on its tail fin for many years. It hasn't changed, hasn't grown, hasn't spread, it's just there and the fish has been doing well for years. It's like a pimple that never popped. I just left it alone.

Ken

WendysJungle
So far that seems to be the case with my fish as well. No further spots, nobody else showing any, and everybody very active and eating well. So far so good!

WendysJungle
Just an update, it did NOT turn out to be ICH! The one little spot seems to have just been a part of how this little guy is made, no spread of spots at all! Yay!

catsma_97504
That's good news. Now you can relax and focus on stabilizing your tank.

Latest threads

Top Bottom