Susitna-flower's fish stores - Alaska

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have three fish stores in Alaska that I would say are the tops, given that on any day problems can develop that are beyond their ability to control, like the time I walked into the Wasilla store and the fish Lady was about in tears because the shipper in Seattle had held the entire order in the warehouse for like 4 days before sending it up. These are by no means the only stores, and I am always keeping my eyes open to new ones, and would love to hear about others.

The Reef in Anchorage - in the Diamond Mall on Northernlights Blvd. Saltwater & Freshwater, coral, and small but complete section on supplies. They don't keep a lot as it is a very small store, but what they do have is top quality. They keep bio-spira on hand, carry eco-complete substrate etc..... They buy fish out of California, and have interesting selections. Recently they made the news by having an octopus give birth, and that has been on a live web cam ever since. They give extra special help in packing fish, for my 4 hr trip home, and I've never lost any in-route!

Petzoo in Wasilla - Great store, ONLY because of the great fish Lady - she runs a top notch fish department ( you can ALWAYS tell if it is her day off because the other help doesn't care as much) Some saltwater, mostly Freshwater- Wide selection in the freshwater with new and interesting fish all the time. The fish are healthy, and the fish Lady is a wealth of information better even than many here on the forum, and that is saying a lot! This is where I got my Black Ghost Knife, and she was able to give me personal experience info on how to take care of them. They also carry bio-spira, but you have to know to ask for it! The rest of the store is So-So as far as supplies. Not top grade, and they run out of things a lot, because it is the only store serving a population of 50,000. Pack fish adequately, and have a good fish replacement policy.

Fish-Topia Fairbanks. I don't know if it is the only store in Fairbanks, to be fair, I must say it is the only one I have been to. It is large, lots of Saltwater, and Freshwater, corals, liverock etc. A good selection of supplies, but they are expensive. Lots of most supplies right on hand. The fish are a good cross section, and usually large groups of younger fish. The prices are good. They give me special help in packing the fish for my 5 hr trip home and I've never lost any in-route. The owner is a bit abrasive, but he hires great help that love fish and are easy to deal with.

Fish in the Frozen North

M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Susitna-flower,

I love it when you post! You made me SO homesick reading about Anchorage and Fairbanks. We only lived up there for 4 years, but both my husband and I consider it home and we go back as often as possible---we'll be there in March for the IceArt championships! We didn't have fish while we were up there, but I know the malls you mentioned---heck, there aren't that many in the whole state! We use to drive 6 hours to Wasilla just to go to Walmart! I miss everything about Alaska, but mostly the sense of community offered by the people. We have 3 little ones and they consider it home too---can't wait to go home for good someday!
Please keep posting!!!

-M

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
M-, Love it! You are right about if you ever lived here, as soon as you reach Alaska Airlines in Seattle, it feels like home! When you drive in, I don't know about you but I always cry coming through the Mountains! As for Walmart, there is a huge one in Fairbanks now!

It sounds like you may be headed this way to stay some day, but this time you will have to have fish......

I live in Trapper Creek, m. 114.5 of the Parks, if you ever come through give me a ring. We'll have :;co

Fish in the Frozen North

M

Valued Member
Reaction score
You know what I really miss? EVERYTHING! The people, the weather, and Denali---we used to go in on the lottery for the park and drive the whole thing. Or just seeing the Range on a clear day. I miss having moose step over my chainlink and eat my frozen flowers. I love how it would get so cold that the air crystalizes and looks like you are in a snow globe. My husband liked how the cold would make the light refract upwards instead of down. I even miss break up!!! I worked at the hospital in Fairbanks and loved how the community would support and send cancer patients (and their families) to Seattle for treatment. I'm actually sorry to hear that there is a Walmart in Fairbanks. I loved supporting the Mom and Pop stores and hope they are able to survive.
Our house is decorated in Alaskan art and sculptures---which makes people here in Alabama look at you a little strange! :;z
I'm SO envious! I could go on for hours, but I won't.

Sourdough Hugs,

-M

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
M- I have a daughter going to College in Fairbanks, and a son getting ready to start next year. I have lived here since 1959, and only in the past 10 years have I gone up that direction very much. Summers are great, I don't know how I would do in the winter though. Not so much the cold as the dark. It really is a huge difference just these 250 miles south. There are a great number of new stores along the Johanson Expressway , I think much of the town is the same, certainly downtown. The one thing you didn't mention is China Hot Springs! Do you like going out when you come up in the winter? I went twice last year, they are suppose to do work on the bath house this year, which will be nice. One great accomplishment for me was last summer my daughter and I took a hike along a mountain ridge up toward Circle - it was breath taking! For me at 52 it was great, I have kind of let those dreams slip away as the years have crept up, and the weight, but that is going in the right direction now.

Fish in the Frozen North

M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, we know the Chena Hot Springs....we named our dog Chena! Have you ever eaten at Two Turtles Lodge? That was always our New Year's Dinner place. I LOVE Fairbanks! I loved going to Anchorage for the shopping, but after being in Fairbanks it was like country mouse and city mouse.
Congrats on the hike! I can only imagine how beautiful it was. I am SO envious of you living there for all these years! It still cracks me up that every election ballot still has a vote to succeed from the Union!
OHHHHH and please tell me you have been to Hot Licks Ice cream!?!?! Last time we were there about 1 1/2 yrs. ago, we saw they had migrated to Anchorage. Speaking of migrating, I don't know how much you go to Fairbanks, but Creamers Field is great for the geese. Gosh, I miss everything and all the wonderful memories seem to all be flooding in. I'm going to have to get a Kleenex soon!
OK, so your kids have been raised there right? Are they itching to leave AK? I'm just curious how a younger adult who has lived there feels about staying.
I hope I'm not driving you crazy, but it feels wonderful to interact with someone who lives in my "home".....if that makes sense.

Thanks so much,
-M

P.S. Talk about crazy comments, try driving around AL with AK tags. We have even had people want to take our picture because they had never seen Eskimos before!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
M - Now don't :'( but guess where I'm going this Saturday! I'll stop in Hot Licks for you! Yes I've been to Two Turtles Lodge, and the Pump House, and Pikes.
I have to go up for an AGEL meeting, a Corporate Director Les Harrell is coming up from the states. It is a great way to introduce people to the business, and I have some folks I want to take.

I Love the drive, once you leave Nenana and go up over the mountains, it just feels like coming home. If we didn't live on my families homestead, I would seriously consider moving up there.

The daughter I haven't spoken of yet, wants to go even further north with her husband in the summers. He is a pilot with US fish & wildlife. He wants to fly for an outfit out of Coldfoot. Now that is a hard one to explain to people in AL also, how Coldfoot can be so hot in the summer! How when you drive north from Anchorage, in the summer, it justs gets hotter and hotter.
How about our little State Fairs! It is just about that time again.

If you are working in a hospital, you know they just completed a new one in Wasilla! Nice big & new! They are crying for help all over AK.

April

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well M, I'm back, and yes I stopped into the Fish store! Came back with white sailfin mollies, 3 rainbow platys to go with my 2 I already have, two new rainbows, and 10 rasbora's. NO HOT LICKS!...... OH it was hot in Fbks. , unseasonably so at 82 and sun for this time in Aug....but I was rushed for time.....But I did go to Pikes for dinner, I was going to sit out on the deck, but even at 9 pm it was to sunny and hot.

Fish in the Frozen North

M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sounds like FUN!---wish I could have joined you on the deck at Pike's!!! People don't realize that 24 hours of sunlight isn't always a great thing---it never really cools down, give me 24 hours of darkness any day!
The fish sound great. Did they handle the drive OK? You're outside of Nenana, right? Are the roads still crowded with RVs? I would think the tourist would start to wind down soon, for sure by Sept!!! Okay, I have to ask you about one more restaurant....what about Lynx Creek pizza near the entrance to Denali? There was always a wait, but worth it!!!
Glad you had a good trip to Fbnks. Can't wait to be there in March!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Morning M, I'm 5 hours south of Fairbanks. Drive through Denali every trip, but don't stop at Lynx Creep Pizza, I know what you are talking about though. From 1999-2001 I planted flowers at Denali Resorts which at that Lynx was owned by them. The little flower boxes inside were a pain to plant. I am on the Parks Hwy, across the River from Talkeetna.
As far as fish most made it fine. One Sailfin Molly died after I got home, and another is on its last legs this morning. It developed an ulcer right above it's tail. So now I will have one lovely male, and no females. He will go over into my big tank. Which won't be a bad thing as the white flash of him swimming the length of the 6' will look really nice.

Hope you have a great day.
Fish in the Frozen North

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads