Sushi goes to college

• Thread starter biscuit
  • Start date

biscuit

Hello!
I recently moved out to college, and I'll be bringing my fish here soon. I've done some research, but quite a bit of it is conflicting. For example, some people have said fish must be moved in bags so they're not injured on hard walls, while others have said they have to be moved in Tupperware so the top can be sealed. How have any of you moved your fish in the past, and how well did it work? Sushi is a betta and his tank is 5 gallons. The drive is 2.5 hours. Thanks in advance!

Crimson_687

Well Known
Since the drive is short, I’d say bag is the best bet. Do about 2/3 of the bag air so he doesn’t suffocate. Put the bag in container to prevent it from toppling. If you think he will slosh around a lot, you can put him in a Kordon breather bag. This will allow 100% of the bag to be filled with water. Kordon breather bags are safe and also allow transfer of air between the water and outside the bag.

You can also do a container, in fact if you still have the cup he came in, the petco cups are perfect as the hole at the top is small enough to prevent water from splashing out while also giving the betta a small space for air. It depends on the cup though, the hole in the Petsmart cup is too large and the water will splash out of the cup

jkkgron2

Well Known
I used one of those fish travel containers they sell at petco. All I did was fill the water up 2/3rds of the way and put it in a spot where it was less likely to splash. It’s great for short moves and has come in handy a few times.

The_fishy

Well Known
I use reusable smoothie cups without the straw for my bettas. It’s nice because I can put the fish in cup holders.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
I'd get a 5 gallon pail fill it with 3 gallon of water and set the top partway on (to discourage it from jumping out but not enough to seal the pail. That's just me. I wouldn't mess with a bag too annoying. Also a pail never came untied ;)

Skrabbitskrabbit

I have transported bettas both ways, bag and hard plastic container. I would probably just do a bag tied up and put it somewhere safe like in a cup holder or maybe put the bag in a small cardboard box with newspaper padding and the box on the floorboards. They mail fish in bags (within a box) and they come out fine after several days and who knows what the mail carriers do with the boxes.

Top Bottom