Survivor Goldfish Fry

Problxm
Dear fish lovers,

What the heck should I do?

So recently, I've found an egg hanging on to my tank's thermometer and was very surprised since I still don't know who's pregnant. Anyways, since I have no plants in the aquarium, I only found one egg. I've removed it and placed it inside of a 5-inch cup filled with water from the original tank and zero expectations. Today, the egg has hatched and a small fry is now swimming.
So you see, I'm going on vacation in two weeks for less than a month and I didn't plan for this to happen. I already have an automatic fish feeder set up for my original tank but I'm not sure what to do with this little one. All I know is that I've now become a grandma at 16.
NOTE: I also have a spare 10-gallon fish tank.

Advertisement
david1978
Goldiemom how would you procede with this?

Advertisement
jdhef
I don't have an answer for you but I did want to say...Welcome to FishLore!

Hopefully some one who can help will be along soon.

penguin02
Welcome!

Your biggest danger is the fry starving to death. Fry really need to eat multiple times a day when they are young in order to grow.

How big is your main tank? What is your stocking?

Problxm
I have two males and three females which I didn't know could lay eggs after having done so a few months ago. Maybe it's because of the warm temperature.

penguin02
The fry will have to eat. Is it possible you can have someone come over and feed it?

Advertisement
Problxm
I could but since it’s only one little guy, is it possible to not feed it every 4 hours ?

penguin02
Once a day would be better than nothing. Maybe even every other day, but that’s a little riskier.

arichier
It's a difficult one, as moving it to a different set up while so young will most likely kill it. I have had this happened several times with the slight change in water temp/conditions.

However, with no other options I would suggest filling your 10 gallon half way and place it in direct sun light to cause an algae bloom in it (so the water turns green), use a sponge filter with a gentle flow, acclimate the fry by balancing the cup in the water and then put the fry in there.

I have raised fry on green water in the past and they have 'survived'. I say survived as they didn't grow or develop to the standard of fry raised on high protein diet but the fry has algae to eat at least.

Not the best advice but it has worked for me in the past and may just work for you.

Galathiel
I don't know if you have any live plants in your other aquarium or have a friend with live plants (especially java moss), but I would move what you can to the fry tank. They can also bring a source of food for fry.

Problxm
I’ll see what I can do but for now I’ve transferred it to a small aquarium I had yesterday and it’s looking good. It is so tiny and precious that it warms my heart.
Thank you all for your help !!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Champanier
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
arichier
Replies