20 Gallon Tank Survival of the fittest??

nlynn1

HI everyone I'm new here, I have 2 20 gallon tanks set up with mollies. We keep them at about 80 degrees. Our tanks our fairly new and were new to this, however we had a great time watching out 6 baby fry swim, eat, grow and even poop for the 5 days they lived before the antibiotics we were treating the tank with cloudy eye for, killed them all ....

anyways...... I'm wondering how many of you all keep your fry in the tank, leave mom to be alone and have the babies naturally in her main tank and let the fry live sort of by "survival of the fittest"... I believe if it wasn't for the antibiotics our fry were doing great, growing, and quite possible would have made it fine it it werent for that.. but it seems as I read I see ALOT move mom to breading tanks, and keep the fry seperated for long periods of time...

am I alone??

iloveengl

to FishLore

I prefer not to use breeder nets/boxes or separate birthing tanks. If the moms want quite space, I have enough plants and hideouts for them to go to. I feel it's more stressful to try catch and move the mothers that is necessary. If I want to ensure the fry survive, I'll remove them with a turkey baster in the first day or two, but I rarely do this. Usually a few fry escape being eaten, and it's always just enough to keep the livebearer numbers in my tank at a manageable level. If I removed them all, I would have been overrun with fry eons ago.

Plus, I like to think those that do survive being eaten in the main tank are going to be healthier/savvier than a bunch of box-raised fry.

Danni

Good point but it depends on what your breeding purposes are.

If your not breeding for sale- I would definitely see what survives not using any other measures.

If your breeding wanting to sell- well that is a whole other issue. Then yes you would separate fry to get the best possible outcome of survival.

It all depends on what your going after.

iloveengl

Indeed, Danni. If you really want the fry, especially most of the fry, then a separate area is nearly essential for their survival.

nlynn1

thankyou both so much that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm not seeling I just enjoy the babies, but I don't need huge numbers. I can totally see the importance if your a "breeder"

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being mean doing it the way I was....

Latest threads

Top Bottom