Surprise!!!

ebbandflow

Reaction score
I'll let the pictures do the talking. Three new buddies in my tank and then their tankmates.

divakeeks

Reaction score
Ok, so the smilies really say it all but, YAY!! What great pictures and what BEAUTIFUL fishies!!!!!!! I am SOOO jealous!! I want more bettas!!! <enter tantrum here>

Nicely done! Glad things are working out so well for you!

-Kelly

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
love ur bettas,

I have a male and female and they aren't exactly getting along so i'm trying to c y I thought maybe my male was just trying to be well a typical male and mate with her but the amount of damage is concerning and when I separate them he doesn't eat much I'm hoping this area will help me out if u have anything pls e-mail me at
and put in the subject line bettas

i'm pretty much a noob at this so any advice is more than welcome

thanx all

Inari

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congratulations on Your Beautiful Babies!!!! 

They are so Beautiful and healthy looking.  Tell us all about it.  Did you find them at the same place?  How do they get along?  They remind me so much of mine!!  Do you have names for them yet? (you surely knew that was coming didn't you?  LOL)  Keep us informed on their little comings and goings.  We need to have a thread or section on this Section just for the little female tanks.

Congratulations again and I am so happy for you.  Isn't it nice to have babies in the house?  

Rose

OP
E

ebbandflow

Reaction score
It really is great to have them. They add so much to the tank. I already don't know how I did without them .

I got them at one of my local stores. It was such a surprise. They never have female bettas so as soon as I saw them I knew that I had to get them. And I found these three. So cute ;D. If I hadn't found three that I liked I may not have gotten any but luckily I found them. Well, I take that back. I've wanted females for so long now that I probably would have gotten any three and fell in love later :.

I haven't named them yet, for two reasons I guess. Havent thought of any good names, plus I want to give it a week or so before I name them. I'm probably worrying for no reason but I'm just afraid to name them and then... lose them. I get attached way to easily... and in this hobby you get hurt a lot. Especially buying from the lfs.

So the dynamic is that the blue one is the definite dominant one. I have a relatively long acclimation process when I'm adding in fish but I had to cut it short cuz the blue one kept attacking the white one.... and I got scared. Once they had all the room of the tank to swim around in they seem to basically mind their own business, with a little posturing from the blue one every now and then. Feeding time you still see some bullying. But everyone gets food. I actually manage the hand feeding. Two of them will have their backs turned and I'll drop a bloodworm in front of the other. Then one will be alone for a few seconds and I'll drop her a bloodworm. It works out surprisingly well. One question. I'm feeding them less then I feed Satin cuz they are so small. Four bloodworms each. Is that right?

Well, I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the nice words everyone.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well actually since they do not look full grown and are still probably developing, they can eat that much even 3 times a day since they are not big enough for a big Betta meal at a time. But they will do okay with that much and grow fine. Just watch the Nitrate levels as it is a damper on the development of still growing babies.

They are so Beautiful!!!

Rose

OP
E

ebbandflow

Reaction score
Ok I will... so nitrate levels under 5 then? Yeah they are definitely still babies. Probably half Satin's size.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As low as possible. I can't get mine down below 20 but considering that I usually run around 80 that is good. but under 5 would be IDEAL.

I cannot get over how much your little white lady looks like Misty. I had to stop and make sure I was where I thought I was. LOL Red, White, and Blue - neat!

The snail is a Zebra Nerita Snail. I have 2 of them. I can tell from the little white spot on the dark shell.

Rose

OP
E

ebbandflow

Reaction score
lol... yeah I only noticed the patriotic colors after I bout them! I was thinking of working there names around that but I still haven't found anything that I like. I don't know if you saw in my other post but I got the white one cuz of how much she reminded me of misty.

My nitrates out of the tap are zero (I'm lucky I guess) so keepin them low just takes some water changes. If I need to keep it real clean I just do 10 % every other day. So I'll just do that to get it down and then go back to 25% every week.

Hmm... zebra nerita. I'll have to look that up. Its not just one spot. They all have a bunch of them on there bodies. The plants that the snails hitched a ride on came from florida. Would this make sense?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine have the spots of varying sizes all over too, but the one seems to be more prominent. I think the ones I BOUGHT were from Florida. Lucky!! They were $6.95 each.

Rose

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
inarI said:
love ur bettas,

I have a male and female and they aren't exactly getting along so i'm trying to c y I thought maybe my male was just trying to be well a typical male and mate with her but the amount of damage is concerning and when I separate them he doesn't eat much I'm hoping this area will help me out if u have anything pls e-mail me at
and put in the subject line bettas

i'm pretty much a noob at this so any advice is more than welcome

thanx all

Inari
Your male will kill your female if they are both together in the same tank. When they are bred, the female is removed immediatly after spawning because the male will commonly attack her. Please separate your male and female betta ASAP!

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
gunnie,

Thank you foir your concern. and they have been separeated as soon as Inari(male) would not leave TenshI (female) alone. I definitely should have done more research before I got these two beauties.

thanx

brent

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ebbandflow they are so GORGEOUS!!! That white one does look kinda like Misty. I love the Cories and the Harlequins and the snails too! ;D Apparently they aren't Pond Snails like I thought. I don't know anything about Zebra Neritas. Lucky, you got them free and Rose payed like 7 bucks each! ;D Once again the Bettas are so beautiful.

OP
E

ebbandflow

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah turns out in buying $30 worth of plants I got $100 worth of snails! And they keep reproducing too so just call me the money tree. Think I can sell them to my lfs? Or better yet trade them?... for more fish! (Oh god, just drooled all over the floor).

OP
E

ebbandflow

Reaction score
Local Fish Store...

No prob. We've all asked it at one point.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe the lfs would take them if you could convince them they could sell them for something.  I probably have $100 worth of snails too but who wants Pond Snails?  Well I don't care, I want them! ;D  

OP
E

ebbandflow

Reaction score
They are pretty cool looking. If you shine a flashlight on them their bodies fluoresce. Today I saw a little baby one in Satin's tank. Seriously the size of the head of a pin. I don't know how I spotted it. Then I looked away for a second and couldnt find it again. Crazy...

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, at first I only caught fleeting glimpses of one little snail, but now you just glance at the tank and can count a dozen easily. They are really cool.

inari

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sounds like they all but take over ur tank or do ur fish kinda keep them in check too?

New Threads