Surprise Zebra Danio Fry! Need help urgently

1. RedSolace

RedSolace Valued Member Member

Hi all!
    So a few days ago I noticed a fair few minuscule zebra danio fry attached to the wall of my 20 gallon community tank.
    Usually I let nature take it's course, and until now I've not seen any live fry in my tank, but seeing them there and knowing they'd soon be eaten (my other fish were already seeking them out) , I did not have the heart to just leave them be.
    I've decided to try and save them!
    Now , I've got multiple problems. firstly , I don't have a cycled tank for them.
    So I ran out and bought a little plastic 2 gallon , heater and air pump/stone ,just for temporary housing
    They've only been in there 2 days and are free swimming.
    I've started feeding liquifry and added some moss from my community tank for them to feed from too and they seem to be doing ok.
    So , to my understanding, from what I've read so far, I'll need to perform daily water changes with an uncycled tank?
    How do you perform a water change with such tiny fry? I'm extremely worried I'm going to suck them up.
    I'm going to purchase a 10 gallon and cycle it for them to move into , but what can I do to keep them as comfortable as possible for the mean time?
    There are around 30 and they're maybe 1-2mm total length.
    Sorry if these seem like silly questions, I'm fairly new to fishkeeping in general and have no experience at all with fry :(
    All help is highly appreciated, I'm very concerned for the little guys, so thank you in advance!

2. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Red...

Cycling a tank with fish requires daily water testing for ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, you should remove 25 percent of the old water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. Feed a little every couple of days and continue testing and removing the water when needed. When you have several daily tests with no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled.

Danios are hardy adult fish and can manage the water changes that happen during the nitrogen cycle. The fry not as much. Do a good job of testing and the removing the tank water and in a month or so, the tank will be cycled. At this point, you should change out half the tank water weekly for the life of the tank.

Good luck.

Old

3. OP
    OP
    RedSolace

Oh yes, I have 3 cycled tanks running at the moment with various fish species , I understand the process of the cycle :)
    My problem here is just with the fry, I'm not sure how to perform a water change at all with such small fish, without sucking them up :(
    I don't have a filter hooked up to the fry tank because I'm unsure which kind of filter would be safe for them , again being so small.
    I've read a sponge filter is appropriate , could I just put that in one of my cycled tanks to speed up the process?

4. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello again Red...

Use a piece of women's nylon hose and attach it to the syphon with a rubber band. You can do the same thing with the filter intake. You'll have to rinse the nylon to keep debris off, but this way, you don't risk the fry.

Move some the filter media from one of the cycled tanks to the new one, so you have the beginning of a bacteria colony. The bacteria in the new tank will reproduce quickly to use the dissolved fish waste.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Old

5. OP
    OP
    RedSolace

Ah! perfect, thank you!
    That's just what I needed :)