SURPRISE! We've Got A Baby!! (Plus an unwanted guest.)

Katie Dawn

This is my first ever baby fish (panda corydoras) and I'm so excited!
Swimming up the glass
You must be registered to see images

Resting on the sand.

Questions:
*Since it's made it this far is it ok to stay in the tank? I can't imagine how I could safely move it so hopefully the answer is yes!

*What do we think it has been eating? (This tank is 20 long and has 7 panda cories and 1 nerite.) I do a 50% WC every single week but I just finished up the busiest 2 weeks of the year at work so the last one I did (other than today) was 2 weeks ago. In other words there was plenty of detritus on the bottom. PLUS I found out the wispy stuff I've been seeing on my pogostem stellatus octopus is algae from having the light on too much in the tank... so there was a lot of algae in there too. I know adults cories don't get nutrition from algae but I know nothing about babies. What do tiny babies eat in a tank when they're not being purposefully fed?

And what should I feed it now? Just keep doing what I've been doing since it seems to be working? I do have frozen baby brine and frozen daphnia available that I haven't fed to the tank in quite awhile.

Am I good to keep doing once a week WCs like normal? And I have been reducing the light to keep the algae under control - I'm good to do that? Basically I'm saying my tank got pretty yucky these last 2 weeks and I don't know if that was somehow helpful to this baby?

How old do you think it might be?

Any suggestions appreciated!

ALSO, when I saw the baby I examined the old/dirty water I had siphoned to make sure I hadn't sucked one up. I didn't see a baby, but I did see a black worm! (Way to rain on my parade dude!) After some googling I am almost positive it's drain fly larvae, which I read loves algae and I certainly was providing plenty of that. I looked in the tank and have only seen one additional one that was burrowing into the sand. But if they're under the sand who knows how many there are. Assuming I'm cutting out their food source (algae) is there anything I need to do to actively get rid of them? Here's a video of it - if you could confirm drain fly larvae or otherwise that would be great. At the end I put my finger on the edge of the bowl for a size comparison. I've saved the video to a Google photos album:
Drain fly larvae?

Yay for baby fish surprises!

Flyfisha

Hi Katie Dawn
Continue doing exactly as you have been. No need to do anything different. No need for special foods. As you say they made it this far and now known it’s safe for them to come out from under whatever they have been under until now.

From personal experience.
It will be hard for you as a human not to feel the need to add extra food for the little guys. While yes technically the population has increased you don’t need to add much more food.

A suggestion would be a few oak leaves. Just a couple of dry old leaves might offer a place to rest and perhaps find food others have missed.

My view from the little I can see in the picture.
I see a very clean tank with only limited places for the fry / future fry to hold up. If you can bring yourself to live with the look of a couple of dry old leaves under a small stone at the back of the tank somewhere you may be rewarded with more fry?

Keep up the good work.
As for the worm. You only saw it because you were looking extra hard. I have no experience with that particular species of insect as I am not sure if they live in my country. However I would not worry about it if I saw it in my tank.

Katie Dawn

Hi Katie Dawn
Continue doing exactly as you have been. No need to do anything different. No need for special foods. As you say they made it this far and now known it’s safe for them to come out from under whatever they have been under until now.

From personal experience.
It will be hard for you as a human not to feel the need to add extra food for the little guys. While yes technically the population has increased you don’t need to add much more food.

A suggestion would be a few oak leaves. Just a couple of dry old leaves might offer a place to rest and perhaps find food others have missed.

My view from the little I can see in the picture.
I see a very clean tank with only limited places for the fry / future fry to hold up. If you can bring yourself to live with the look of a couple of dry old leaves under a small stone at the back of the tank somewhere you may be rewarded with more fry?

Keep up the good work.
As for the worm. You only saw it because you were looking extra hard. I have no experience with that particular species of insect as I am not sure if they live in my country. However I would not worry about it if I saw it in my tank.
Thanks Flyfisha!
So you're saying I'm good to get back to my regular routine of weekly 50% water changes? I will definitely be watching the siphon carefully!

I actually have an IAL in the tank that's pretty raggedy and falling apart. Can't help but think this little one was hanging out in that area. Here's my entire tank:

Here's the area on the left side with the IAL. Both of those terra cotta pots in the back are dug in enough that I think the adults would have a hard time squeezing in there, and the IAL and smaller bridge are right there too. I initially found the baby under the small bridge and he/she seems to like that area.

I will look into adding either an oak leaf (I've got plenty of maple leaves! Do they work?) or another IAL and positioning it the way you suggest. I'd like to put in more plants but am still very much a plant newbie with anything other than anubias and java fern. I've got to make another attempt at programming my light as well so I can control the light levels/duration better. But I'd like to learn more about aquascaping and plant care before adding more plants. My plan with the pogostem stellatus octopus is to build a "forest" basically which should give cover once it's built up and out more!

I know what you mean about being tempted to feed more, but really thinking more about making sure I'm feeding tiny granule type foods but continue to feed the same amount. I gave them a little block of frozen brine shrimp tonight which I haven't done in several weeks and they all went crazy for it (including the baby) so that was fun! But I'll be sure to heed your advice and not feed any more than usual.

And great news about the worm! Thanks again!

Flyfisha

An IAL or two is as good or better than oak or other deciduous trees. I have not personally used maple leaf?
Yes to continuing with the 50% water changes.

Thanks for sharing.

jmaldo

Surprise! Happened to me a few years ago. Had eggs on occasion, then one day during tank maintenance, two fry showed up. Mother Nature at her finest. As mentioned I did nothing different except to keep a watchful eye during water changes.

Congrats and Good Luck!

Katie Dawn

Update: make that three babies. :) (The two newer ones are about half the size of the first.) I've explained to my corydoras that this is all VERY exciting but it's only a 20 gallon so maybe cool it a little. I'm sure they will listen and follow my advice. (haha!)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
bizaliz3
Replies
Views