Surprise Snail?!

1. Evander

Evander Valued Member Member

A snail surprised me today! I've never had a snail before! I ordered some plants from a guy on aquabid like 2 months ago and found a baby snail on one. I rinsed all the plants off very well because I've heard snail horror stories. And now suddenly this guy turns up weeks later! I'm actually delighted, I've been wanting a snail and this one is really cute. BUT I'm definitely nervous and was hoping to get help identifying the type.

Fishlore isn't letting me attach photos, but the snail is very small, maybe half an inch, has like a cone-shaped shell, is yellowish clearish and has little "ears" on its head. I don't know if this is helpful at all lol I'll keep trying to add a photo

2. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Google Malaysian Trumpet Snail... Does that look like what you have?

3. OP
    OP
    Evander

My snail's body isn't as long an thin, it's the same cone shape but it's like a shorter fatter version.

From googling, I'm THINKING it's probably some kind of pond snail? I'm worried cause google is also saying these are the most pesty and reproduce nightmare fast. What's confusing for me then is that I only see the one, and if this snail came in off those plants I got two months ago (nothing else added to the tank since or before?), then I feel like I'd see some other snails in there by now?

LOL I guess all I can do is wait and see and hope that I don't suddenly have zillions of snails... I'm happy with just the one lol

4. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Pond snail and bladder snail:

image.jpg

Ramshorn snails:
    image.jpg

Malaysian trumpeter snail:

image.jpg

Does it look like any of these?

Others:

Trapdoor snail, mystery snail, nerite snail, assassin snail, rabbit snail.

5. V

Vourg Valued Member Member

pond snails reproduce fast so it could be a menace but some types of fishes eats them also. i tried once adding one pond snail in my tank and just after i dropped it my albino tinfoil swallowed it whole so it was a fail.lol

6. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

If you don't overfeed they won't take over. Good way to judge your feeding habits,but if you severly overfeed they will thrive. I have some in ally tanks, have a friend who has 100+in a 12 gallon and loves them.

7. star17325

star17325 Valued Member Member

I can't have any snails in my tank because my fish will eat them. I just started a tank to produce snails for food. One time in a tank I started with 1 snail, and ended up having hundreds, I had to thoroughly clean my gravel out to get rid of them and still would find more months later.

8. OP
    OP
    Evander

Thanks so much for the replies everyone! I'm pretty sure they're pond snails. "They're" as in I've spotted 3 TINY babies today. The biggest is smaller than a grain of rice.

I'm really nervous because I don't want them to ruin my tank but I also really like them. It's a 10g, heavily planted tank with only 1 betta fish in there. I feed once every other day or so right now because we had issues with bloating in the past. But I think the snails might be fine anyway because there's SO many plants in there.

Ah what should I do?? I'd like to be able to keep them if I can but I don't want any trouble with water quality or completely overtaking the tank or eating ALL my plants...

9. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

They won't eat healthy plants, and you can trap/catch them with a piece of lettuce. Place it in the tank,wait a little bit, and then take the snail covered lettuce out to thin out the population.