Surprise new fish

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by jinnix, Aug 1, 2015.

1. j

jinnix New Member Member

Hello everyone! Today we bought two long finned leopard danios to add to the tank and we noticed that we accidentally had a tiny tag-a-long in the bag! We assumed it was a baby danio but on closer inspection it doesn't look like one. What convinces me it's not a tiny danio is that the tail is rounded and not split.
    Any ideas on the species of the little guy?

11796214_10204426556933938_4128427815298706366_n.jpeg

Thanks everyone

2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Looks like a young Platy to me. Not sure on what type.

3. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Could be a Molly, also. I think guppies normally have a more curved tummy at that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I also say molly or platy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

Thanks for the help. I've got six other medium to large size danios in the tank with him, do you think he'll be alright or should I separate him until he gets bigger?

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

As long as he won't fit into the danios mouths he should be fine. Give him a nice bushy plant to hide in so he'll be a little more secure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Not a Platy. Either a molly or a guppy.

8. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

So it's a live bearer. I guess you'll find out what kind when it gets bigger ;)

9. alink

if its not a platy then its a molly, def not a guppy.

10. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

We asked the fish store we got him from and they said he's just a feeder guppy. They told me to just toss him down the drain but I can't imagine doing that so we'll just try to keep him alive. He seems to be doing fine, even though the bigger fish are bumping him around a little bit. Mystery solved!

11. alink

The tail is nothing like a Guppy though... Guppies have large flowing tail fins, I know it's young but wouldnt the tail be bigger than what it is???

12. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Not on a baby

13. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

A fish shop told you to put a fish down the drain. Just a feeder guppy.

And we wonder why they don't seem to care.....

This is an easy one. It's a Livebearer.

:)

14. kidster9700

Fish stores often get color less female guppies in with feeder minnows (.15 a pop) they probably assumed you didn't want it and were saying it's not worth the hassle of selling or donating back to them.
    I always cringe when people ask about using feeders to cycle the tank because they ask "what do I do with them after?" And I have to say "well, if you have a pet that eats fish you can feed them to it, or just... Flush them... Because most stores really aren't going to want a feeder fish donation. Or are literally going to just toss it in with the turtles..." Gosh that's a hard one to tell people...

15. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

I was pretty shocked when he said to toss it, but I understood why he would say that. We're going to watch over him and hopefully he has a calmer life than he would as food haha

16. kidster9700

Yeah. I just don't want this to ruin your fish store experience, you know.

17. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

Oh absolutely. Our fish store is incredible, I understand I'm being the weird one haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice