Surprise Mollies!

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I accidentally acquired two molly fry. I got a bunch of shrimp from a friend, and two little baby mollies ended up in the bucket. I think they will do okay in my main tank, but i am unsure as the pH is on the lower side and i read they do best in a higher pH. The tank has plenty of driftwood and some plants, though i am working on adding more. I really don't want to have more mollies, but i am thinking that if the fry turn out to be a male and a female the other fish will eat any new babies.

Specs:
29 gallon
Temp: 74
pH: 6.6

Tankmates:
1 Apisoto Caca.
2 zebra loaches
6 zebra danios

Right now the fry are in my shrimp tank where they won't get eaten. Will they do okay in my 29 gallon once they are bigger, or should i look for a new home for them?

Edit: I should add that the only food my tank gets is frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp, since that is all my apisto will eat. Of course i can easily introduce other foods, especially fresh veggies, for the mollies.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They should be ok but if you have one male and one female you will have to rehome one as they need to be kept in the livebearers ratio of at least 2 females for every male. Otherwise the male may stress the female to death.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you! I’m not sure what kind they are, so it will be exciting to see.

Is it okay to keep a pair of males or a pair of females? If i end up with a male/female
pair, i will probably get another female. I wouldn’t mind having a few but i don’t want to end up with a zillion babies.

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you keep them in your community tank, the other fish will have no problem eating them... I wouldn't worry about that.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is what i thought, but it has been so long since i have kept live bearers. I am guessing Gob and the Loach Gang will thoroughly enjoy having little snacks swimming around...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom