Surprise jelly bean parrots?

Discussion in 'Convict Cichlid' started by Joshua Drake, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Joshua Drake

Joshua Drake Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

So yesterday morning I woke up to all of my cichlids staying very far away from my convict and my parrot only to find this sight. I have no clue what to do with these little guys, obviously I don't want to give them to a shop because I know how jelly bean parrots are dealt with, do I just let nature take its course? I'm planning to separate the convict so they don't continuously spawn and be belligerent but I'm still kind of at a loss...

2. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on the babies. I can't help you as I have no experience with those types of fish. Lots of people on here do so hopefully someone will come along. Alison

3. OP
    OP
    Joshua Drake

I was just really surprised, my parrot isn't even 2 inches long yet, I figured that would be way too early to sex the fish little less breed. I suppose I know she's a female now!

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

There's a high probability that your male "Parrot" already was a "Jelly Bean" type, as they are primarily based on the Convict and are much more precocious about breeding. I have kept so-called JB parrots, and many of the fry were less deformed than the adults. They were essentially deformed Convicts, not really hybrids. However, I believe it is also possible that some JB parrots are a hybrid of convict and Bloody Parrot, as I know Convicts and Red Devils can interbreed. My personal dislike for them has to do with keeping such a seriously deformed fish alive and suffering. Not crazy about Fancy Goldfish, either.

5. OP
    OP
    Joshua Drake

From my understanding jelly bean and other parrot males are sterile, which is why I'd assume my convict was the male. I'm going to talk with the owner of my lfs as he likes jelly beans (it's where I got mine) and see if he's interested in them, otherwise like I said I'll just let nature take its course and let my Jack and jt take care of the babies once the parents stop guarding them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice