Surprise Harlequin Rasbora Fry, So Adorable

Pixie546

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I set up a new 9 gallon tank Christmas Day, using filter media from my old 5 gallon, and planted it put in three Harlequin Rasboras, which I was led to believe were juveniles. A week and a half later I noticed a female doing the upside down egglaying, and a male hanging out with her to fertilize. I didn’t think anything else about it because I have hard water with a 7.3 ph, which is supposed to be unfavorable for eggs and stuff. Wellllll it’s not!!

Much to my surprise six days later I see these little white things daring around!! Fry!!!!!! I believe there’s about a dozen. I’ve been feeding frozen baby brine cubes and every one is going bonkers for them. There’s a Mickey Mouse platy in there too. Now at just over a week old they are adorable little orange things and are getting braver avoid t swimming out into the tank. It’s fun!!!

With all the extra food for the fry, the teeny ramshorn snails that came in on a plant are overwhelming the tank a bit, which I don’t love. But it’s been a fun time with the fry, and I love watching them.

Attachments

lkaup

Reaction score
Congrats on the fry! Has there been an predation on the fry from the parents?

OP
Pixie546

Pixie546

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
lkaup said:
Congrats on the fry! Has there been an predation on the fry from the parents?
I haven’t seen anyone go after them. I watch a lot when I’m home and all four adult fish seem to mind their own business. They may swim after one for a second but the fry darts away. I keep the tank well fed (snails included ) so hopefully no fry get eaten up.

lkaup

Reaction score
Oh that's awesome then, you'll have a big school of them in no time then!

New Threads