surprise fry!!

kazz69

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I hope someone can give me a bit of much needed advice,I had got some new bits for my tank(60l) which has been set up since 24 feb 2010.I needed to do a 50% water change as there is a lot green stuff built up in my tank,so I took all the ornaments & plants out of the tank put the fish in a bucket & started to syphon out the water,I then saw something tiny swimming around in the tank,I caught it & put it in a jug,went to my LFS to get a breeder box,there was no instructions in the box & as you can tell I am totally new to fish so I have not really got a clue as to what I am doing,I have put the fry in the box in the main tank,I have since found another fry which I have put in there too,I don't even know which of my fish the fry came from I am guessing its the plattys,I have:
2 female 1 male plattys,I am sort of guessing at their sex,
2 male guppies,well I think they are male,
2 glass fish,I have not got a clue of their sex
4 cherry barbs,I have not got a clue of their sex,
here are just a few questions I have,
do I need to put anything in the box with the fry?
how long do I leave them in the box for?
how often do I feed the fry & what do I feed them?
sorry if my post is a bit long winded,I would be grateful for any help offered thanks.

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm not an expert but I recently had a surprise batch of mollie frys myself. I left them in the breeder box for a couple weeks in the main tank then moved them to a separate tank. make sure if you move them give them plenty of room to grow as I have lost 3 of the 6 over the weekend because tank was way to small even though they were in there for over a month. you can feed them flakes but they need to be crushed into power so they can eat them or your fish store probably has baby fish food you could purchase. good luck with your fry

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would imagine it is the platies, but if you have any female guppies, it may have been one of them (but you say you have all males, leaving it to the platies!)

The fry really should be kept separate until they are no longer bite sized (until they cannot fit in the mouths of your other fish.). Once they get bigger, use a separate tank to grow them out.

I feed my fry twice a day on special baby food (Tetramin baby I use, but you can use microworms from eBay too), but others feed them more often. They are growing very fast and getting their colours in (I have guppies, but my brand new platy is expecting, nooooooo!)

kazz69

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thank you,that makes things a bit more clear,
I put a little bit of gravel in the breeding box is that ok? as the fry looked scared with the other fish keep attacking the box,
should the fry be swimming around or just laid on the bottom?
once again thanks for your help xx

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads