Surprise Fry! Funny

1. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

The other day I cleared some hornwort out of my pond into a water trough. Not sure what I wanted to do with it, I added water.

The next day, it was full of frog spawn, so I resolved myself to the notion of a new, temporary pond.

This morning I poked around a bit. There were dozens of itty bitty tadpoles, mosquito larva. Some other unknown to me bug babies, and the unmistakable eyes attached to a tail of a fry.

Color me surprised. The one I saw was tiny! I don't know if there are more, or what kind it might be, rosy red, goldfish, or a hitchhiker from a visiting bird or flying insect.

I'm kind of excited about it.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Updates once they start growing!

3. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I decided to relocate some fry. Compared to the number of tadpoles, there aren't that many, and the water trough is a positive jungle filled with all sorts of competing life, including an adult frog. (Couldn't quite see what sort. Not a leopard frog, it was much smaller and rounder.)

Anyway, the four I caught are more fish shaped today. Clearish, and still too small to take a clear photo of. Minnow shaped, I think. Given I had read that rosy reds lay their eggs in caves and recesses at the bottom and guard their fry like cichlids, I'm still flummoxed. Of course, the literature could be wrong. I'll know in a couple more days.

4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

They are finally big enough for my camera to see. Sort of.

Attached Files: