Surprise Fish Death

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Justsumgurl, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Justsumgurl

JustsumgurlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    So one of Gertrudae just popped up dead this morning. A baby snail had it by the tail. There were no visible lesions. All of the fish was intact, except for the bit of tail the snail got to. The eyes only looked slightly protruded. I've been treating the tank for possible ICH, but in all honesty I've only seen signs in one fish and it's been three days now. The fish that shows visible signs of disease is a Praecox Rainbow. It has visible white cystic lesions that have waxed and waned for close to a week now. Some of the cysts look exactly like ICH but some others look like bite marks or just lumps, for lack of a better word. I started Kanaplex/ Metro/ Paraguard treatment. Fingers crossed this isn't the "C" word. I've dealt with that a few times and it was not fun. Anyone have any inclination to believe it's anything else? I'll try to get a photo of the fish in question.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,992
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Giving this a bump up for you

3. RSababady

RSababadyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +742
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think if this had been Ich, then the white cyst like bumps would have dropped off by now since you have been treating the fish for a week, so the white blobs must have appeared 8-10 days ago. Strange it should be just one fish sick ......

@KinsKicks maybe you can give some insight on this sick fish?

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,775
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Double check your other fish for the white spots; have you been doing thorough daily vacuuming of the substrate? Its not use treating the external cysts (that is the stage that is affected by meds) if you don't remove the trophonts. It might actually by more beneficial to remove your fish to a separate QT tank and treat there so there isn't any substrate for them to hide in and "starve" out the ones that are in your display tank.

Also, judging by the gills of your fish, it looks like the parasites may be infecting the gills of your fish effectively suffocating them; it may be why your other one randomly seemed to die (while ich is effective, its usually when they reach the gills where the tissue is softer to attach to where most fish will actually face the most problems)

5. OP
    OP
    Justsumgurl

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I agree. Really strange.

6. OP
    OP
    Justsumgurl

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm going to do another vacuum/water change after I get the kids off to school. Somehow this fish is still alive. She was active and eating like normal. Knock on wood, no visible symptoms in any other fish. I will say that a few adult Mystery snails kicked the bucket as of late but it wasn't all at once and they were fairly large and therefore older. I do not have a functional qt tank. I had nothing but problems getting one running properly. It was actually doing more harm than good when a fish had to go in there. I need to work on getting it back up again, obviously. Should I continue the course of medications that I initially started? Will Kanaplex/ metro(in food)/Paraguard address most problems or should I go for something else?

Attached Files:

7. NightShade

NightShadeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +991
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If this is a planted tank (as it looks like) then it'll be difficult to vacuum up every bit of the substrate like you need to. I'd suggest trying a QT again... can you do regular water changes, or move the media over from this tank? Etc..

8. KinsKicks

Ratings:
    +2,775
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you QT all your fish, you can simply move all your media/filters over and it should keep the cycle (if that was the problem you faced!). Your DT should be fine for quite a while.

9. OP
    OP
    Justsumgurl

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years

Honestly, I did all of the above but when treating the fish in a 10 gallon, the BB in the filter die off very quickly and despite massive water changes the nitrites/ ammonia soar. It's incredibly frustrating and I know it's because of the small size. If I had kept my old 29 gallon and ran that I'd be in good shape, but like an idiot... I threw it way a few years back.

10. OP
    OP
    Justsumgurl

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    At this point, all the fish have been exposed to whatever this is for a good week, if not longer. If I move the fish over, they'll just carry whatever this is with them to the other tank. I'm too late in identifying the problem, which technically I haven't completely identified yet. I wish I had a bigger qt tank. That would solve a lot of problems.

11. KinsKicks

Ratings:
    +2,775
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ah okay. Lol, you’re not the only one; we’ve all gotten rid of supplies we later regretted needing haha.

For now, do you best at gravel vacuuming when you can

12. NightShade

NightShadeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +991
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Agree! Do the best you can