Surprise finds in my pond today

Donovan Jones

Since it was nice out today I decided to clean out my moms goldfish pond. It's a 125 gallon with 7 goodies and 3 babies. The babies were a surprise to us though and they're quite cute, but what really boggles my mind is the 8 inch bullfrog we found while cleaning out the leaves. Hes a big chonker lol. Also, 2 female gambusia I couldnt find to bring in survived winter, so that was cool, probably because we didnt get too cold. But still, there was 4 inches of ice most of winter so it's a miracle if you ask me.

TWiG87

It’s always a present surprise finding some wildlife. The frog must have happened upon the pond and just decided to stay I guess lol

Donovan Jones

We had a few green frogs last summer but still haven't the slightest clue where they came from because there's no water bodies for at least a mile in every direction

TWiG87

We had a few green frogs last summer but still haven't the slightest clue where they came from because there's no water bodies for at least a mile in every direction
Maybe as eggs hitched a ride on a bird

Donovan Jones

Possibly, maybe we missed the tadpoles, but they were very welcome because they eat dying fish and all the critters that make predatory larvae

saltwater60

Possibly, maybe we missed the tadpoles, but they were very welcome because they eat dying fish and all the critters that make predatory larvae
An 8” bullfrog will eat more than dying fish. If you value your fish at all I’d take the large bullfrog to a pond or other waterway near by. I keep frogs for about 1.5 years then they go to the local pond because they eat my fish.

Donovan Jones

We have outside cats that invariably get them. all the frogs last year met the same fate

chromedome52

If I found an 8 inch bullfrog, I'd be thinking frog legs (of course, just one frog's legs don't amount to much). I have two pools with no fish, but the green frogs populate them in the summer to control the Mosquitos. Frogs can travel miles on a rainy day, and Greens seem to be one of the most prolific travelers. I've not had any tadpoles in my pools, which I consider strange due to the number of greens that live there all summer. We also have Spring Peepers and Grey's Tree Frogs in the area. Grey's are usually bright green; I had one living in my basement for several years. She controlled the number of spiders and other bugs that get in (probably the same way that she did).

Gambusia are found naturally as far north as central Illinois, and released populations persist around Detroit area in Michigan. They are quite capable of surviving full on winter conditions.

saltwater60

If I found an 8 inch bullfrog, I'd be thinking frog legs (of course, just one frog's legs don't amount to much). I have two pools with no fish, but the green frogs populate them in the summer to control the Mosquitos. Frogs can travel miles on a rainy day, and Greens seem to be one of the most prolific travelers. I've not had any tadpoles in my pools, which I consider strange due to the number of greens that live there all summer. We also have Spring Peepers and Grey's Tree Frogs in the area. Grey's are usually bright green; I had one living in my basement for several years. She controlled the number of spiders and other bugs that get in (probably the same way that she did).

Gambusia are found naturally as far north as central Illinois, and released populations persist around Detroit area in Michigan. They are quite capable of surviving full on winter conditions.
Awesome. I totally want a tree frog in my basement. I’ve always been jealous of people with frogs and snakes in their basements.

I personally like green frogs very much. I have switched from bullfrogs to green frogs for my pond. Much happier. My son is the frog and toad whisperer. He can literally walk up to a frog and pick it up and it will sit in his head while he pets it. Same with roads. Of course not all of them but after they have been in my pond for a bit yes. It’s crazy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
oldsalt777
Replies
Views
chloep123
Replies
Views
Dadio
Replies
Views