Surprise Baby Ghost Shrimp

Discussion in 'Ghost Shrimp' started by Absolem420, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Absolem420

Absolem420 Valued Member Member

2. Lunnapr11

Lunnapr11 Valued Member Member

That's awesome; ghost shrimp are the cutest!!! :emoji_heart_eyes:

3. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisher Well Known Member Member

My girl is no longer toting her eggs, IF any have survived, where and how might i see them?
    They'd only be about 30 hours old, I guesstimate?
    @Absolem420?

4. OP
    OP
    Absolem420

I believe they go through a larval stage where it's dang near impossible to see. But look on your plants and decorations over the next couple days. I literally close one eye. You will see like maybe 2cm miniature ghost shrimp. I was eyeballing my plants in the tank when I noticed them

Look for them moving there antenna. It catches the eye

Folks on here say there hard but honestly I don't do anything special I've found them in two of my tanks this month

IMAG0418.jpg found 5 here IMAG0417.jpg this one 3 I counted

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. CarrieFisher

@Absolem420, thank you for the info!!
    I'll keep checking, when i noticed she was without them, i immediately stuck a prefilter sponge on my intake.

My molly is "due" again in about 10 days, too.
    Oy!!!!!

6. OP
    OP
    Absolem420

GL! I hope you get a bunch of both

7. CarrieFisher

It would just be cool if one or two make it
    I'm not "set up" for breeding, but if she doesnt get to know any of her babies, I'm just going to go get her a few "friends" anyhow

I only see her when the "moonlight" setting is on, and i think she'd feel safer in numbers, like most critters
    Shes out now making a pig of herself on the sinking shrimp pellets that i got for the plec and molly, is this cannibalism worrisome? Lol

8. OP
    OP
    Absolem420

I don't think so I've read where they eat old shed exoskeletons for calcium I suppose it's the same concept. I thought the ghost shrimp were cool so I got 10 for each tank. They didn't last so well with my piranhas I think there is 3 left with them. I doubt I'll find baby's in there lol. I have guppies mollies and mosquito fish fry. The shrimp do good with them all.

9. CarrieFisher

So far, in my tank, I have 4 diamonds (getting 4 or 5 more very soon, trying not to overload my bb colony while I'm slowly stocking this aquarium), 1 DG, 1 Molly, 1 abnp.
    And they've all left her alone so far.

I'm hoping it remains harmonious! I really like her

10. OP
    OP
    Absolem420

Should be all good. I don't think they have that large of a bio load. I'd say add like 5 more.
    I'm no expert though.... I just know I added ten at a time and didn't notice a change

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice