Surprise Babies Help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Missyme, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Missyme

MissymeNew MemberMember

I just looked in my tank before I turn the lights out for the night and seen I have very teeny tiny small yellow babies I am assuming from my Golden Arms the only thing yellow in my tank it's too late to go anywhere and get grass for them to hide in what else can I do

Sorry I used talk to text those are golden Barb

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  2. iamclaire

iamclaireValued MemberMember

You could toss a sponge, or anything that hasn't been exposed to chemicals in there. Rocks, gravel, rolled up airline tubing held together with a twisty tie. Since it isn't permanent, it doesn't have to be pretty, just functional. Just needs to have smaller gaps that the adult barbs. OR if you have prime handy, snag a spare airline and air stone, and drop them in a Tupperware container tapped to the side of the tank with scotch tape. Pour water from the tank into the Tupperware container. If you drop the water level of the tank down just enough it will support the dish like a boat so that all you have to do is stabilize it with tape. A word of caution: moisture WILL cause the tape to loose adhearance after a day or so, so this really really is only a temp measure. Unless you find another container flat and large enough to support the fry container, which you could turn upside down, and once filled with water, is pretty stable. Especially if you really embed it into the substrate

I want to see baby barbs
    ... I bet they're very cute!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  3. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

If you have plastic plants, let some of them float at the surface. If you have real plants, even better ;)
    You could also separate them in a breeder net/mesh box or in their own tank if you have a spare.

Also as a side note, fry don't usually have the colors that they'll have as adults, so just because they are yellow doesn't mean they belong to your barbs

4. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBananaValued MemberMember

Can we see?

5. pixelhoot

pixelhootValued MemberMember

Hello! I'm new on fishlore, but I have been keeping fish for quite some time. What iamclaire stated seems to be good info, as well as floating plants fake or live. I would like to add that you need to make sure if you put them in a tupperware container that the plastic is safe for the fish. Bascially anything food grade will be fine. In the U.S., anything with the recycling numbers #2, #4, and #5 should be fine, in order of desirability. :>

6. OP
    OP
    Missyme

MissymeNew MemberMember

Right now they look like little yellow dots LOL
    I did the floating plastic plant thing lost a lot of babies though I can only count three now. The only fish I have in this tank or golden Barb emerald sword tails and harlequin rasboures I know I spelled that wrong hope you can figure it out spell check don't even know how to spell it.
    I will try and get pictures today.
    Thank you and thank everybody for the ideas I really appreciate it.

7. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Harlequin rasboras ;) I understood you

Darn, your fish are hungry! Best thing is to separate them somehow if they are becoming a snack.

I agree it's probably not the rasboras. Might be the swordtails though...

8. OP
    OP
    Missyme

MissymeNew MemberMember

No way to separate until fish store opens at 11 a.m. they seem to be keeping to themselves in their floating plants right now fingers crossed and thanks for the spelling

You really think it could be the swordtail even though they're yellow I'm so excited to see what they grow up to be didn't even know I had any fish that gave birth to live babies course I don't know too much about that kind of thing still learning you know

9. OP
    OP
    Missyme

MissymeNew MemberMember

1491916593511-1262416866.jpg

20170411_091242.jpg

Have to look really close it's yellow it's tiny and all that Greenery and I could only get one to show his face they're kind of shy

10. OP
    OP
    Missyme

MissymeNew MemberMember

I just thought of something how am I supposed to change my water with them babies in there I accidentally sucked up a little baby I'm going to be so upset can I just add Prime until they get bigger and then change the water

11. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Do you have old nylons? Many people cover the end of their siphon while they have Fry. Maybe check out the breeding forum or YouTube.

12. OP
    OP
    Missyme

MissymeNew MemberMember

Good idea I'll do that got a pair in my drawer thank you

13. iamclaire

iamclaireValued MemberMember

Awww what a tiny little cutie pie!

14. SuzanaBanana

SuzanaBananaValued MemberMember

Its cute!

15. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

It's a swordtail. New Barb fry would be even smaller than that, and the shape is that of the livebearer.

16. OP
    OP
    Missyme

MissymeNew MemberMember

That would be fine with me if it were I was kind of thinking that too based on tail shape

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice