Surprise 2.5 Nano Tank

aced it
I went to the fish store to pick up some wood and rock to rescape my female betta's tank and came home with a 2.5 nano tank. It was $60 originally, but the store owner said he would give it to us for $10 if we agreed to take it right then. Of course we said yes, and now I have a nano tank that I have no idea what to do with. I already have a group of rcs and a ghost shrimp, so I'd like to do something other than those species. I also have three bettas already and I don't really want another. I have a sponge filter coming for it tomorrow, but other than that I don't have anything for the tank. If anyone knows an interesting shrimp species that would work in it or has aquascaping suggestions, I would really appreciate it

Mary765
Did it come with a filter? If not, you could try a pond life + shrimp or small fish walstad tank!

aced it
It didn't come with a filter, but I have an extra air pump and airline tubing so I ordered a sponge filter. Shrimp are my favorite, so it's most likely going to be a shrimp tank unless there's a nano fish or other inverts I don't know about. I'm definitely going to heavily plant it! I haven't decided on a substrate, scape, and stocking yet, so I might use soil. My pH is 8.4 out of the tap so I'm always looking for ways to lower it

Guanchy
how about a different color shrimp? like blue velvet?

aced it
Blue velvet are really pretty! I'll definitely keep those in mind. It'll probably come down to what I can find at my local fish stores.

Mary765
My ph is high too I feel your pain

WinterSoldier.

Hammer
aced it Or...use it to propagate live plants for your other aquariums???

aced it

IMG_2677.JPG This is the empty tank by the way. Once the sponge filter and splitter for the airline tubing come (hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday) I'll start to cycle the sponge.
I'd love to have a plant tank one day, but I doubt my parents would let me have a tankset up just for plants.
Easton Brickner Those are amazing! I can't believe how good some people are with aquascapes!
I know for sure I can get blue velvet or mandarin shrimp, so those are on my list of options. I'm also keeping an eye out for snails. There's a LFS near my dad's work that has tons of shrimp, so we're going to go there next weekend and see what they have. Thanks so everyone for responding! I can't wait to see what this tank will become

Attachments

• IMG_2679.PNG
    IMG_2679.PNG
    701.2 KB · Views: 62
PonzLL
ooh that's a lot nicer than I was expecting

Mary765
You could have snails... and shrimp... :0

aced it
You could have snails... and shrimp... :0
:0
I definitely want both. I love the nerites in my 45. They're so cute and keep the glass looking very nice
ooh that's a lot nicer than I was expecting
I know! It was such a steal! Apparently they had it sitting in the store for months and couldn't sell it. My dad commented on how expensive it was and the owner just offered it to him for $10 if he agreed to take it right then. I'd been wanting a nano tank for a while too!

Mary765
:0
I definitely want both. I love the nerites in my 45. They're so cute and keep the glass looking very nice

I know! It was such a steal! Apparently they had it sitting in the store for months and couldn't sell it. My dad commented on how expensive it was and the owner just offered it to him for $10 if he agreed to take it right then. I'd been wanting a nano tank for a while too!

To be honest it is a steal for a nano tank. That's like £8 which I would definitely buy in a heartbeat and keep some shrimp (always wanted to keep shrimp, first and only batch I had came with a disease that killed them all as soon as they arrived )

midna
what about some vernal shrimp, like fairy shrimp and/or triops?? you could also put some different coloured neos or caridina or in with them.

aced it
Aww, that sucks. Losing animals is the worst. I hope you get the opportunity to try again soon! Shrimp are so fun to watch and take care of. My ghost shrimp will even take food off of my finger!

aced it
what about some vernal shrimp, like fairy shrimp and/or triops?? you could also put some different coloured neos or caridina or in with them.
Oh, I hadn't even thought of those! Triops are the cutest and I've always been really interested in fairy shrimp! I'm definitely adding those to my list

Mary765
Oh, I hadn't even thought of those! Triops are the cutest and I've always been really interested in fairy shrimp! I'm definitely adding those to my list

I've had triops before!! Great fun to watch grow and look just like horseshoe crabs. Word of warning though, they have been known to eat each other but don't let that phase you!

aced it
HI again! Not much is going on. The sponge should be coming today, so I'll try and start the cycle this weekend. I want to try cutting a little piece of cycled media from my 45 and tying it on to the sponge to jumpstart the cycle. I have no idea if it'll work or not, but I figured it can't hurt to try! I filled it to make sure it could hold water, and it's good! No leaks, thankfully Once it cycles, I'm going to try my hand at an actual aquascape this time. I've been bingewatching aquascape videos and looking through hundreds of pictures of nano tanks, and I'm getting really excited for this tank!

PonzLL
I've thought about trying the same exact thing with a new sponge filter. I think it'll definitely speed the cycle along

Mary765
HI again! Not much is going on. The sponge should be coming today, so I'll try and start the cycle this weekend. I want to try cutting a little piece of cycled media from my 45 and tying it on to the sponge to jumpstart the cycle. I have no idea if it'll work or not, but I figured it can't hurt to try! I filled it to make sure it could hold water, and it's good! No leaks, thankfully Once it cycles, I'm going to try my hand at an actual aquascape this time. I've been bingewatching aquascape videos and looking through hundreds of pictures of nano tanks, and I'm getting really excited for this tank!

Good luck! The used media should jumpstart the tank nicely (it can cut waiting time in half depending on the size of the media piece )

I've always wanted to try a proper aquascape but I'm a student with no money so I make 1cm by 1cm by 5cm sealed terrariums instead using plants I find in my garden

aced it
Sealed terrariums are so cool! I can't keep plants alive to save my life, but I've had okay luck with my water plants so far, so I'm hoping it holds out I don't have a ton of money either, but I'm in high school so I don't have any expenses other than fish. My parents are really into in my tanks too, so they'll help out on some of the more expensive stuff as long as I do all of the matinence.

Mary765
Sealed terrariums are so cool! I can't keep plants alive to save my life, but I've had okay luck with my water plants so far, so I'm hoping it holds out I don't have a ton of money either, but I'm in high school so I don't have any expenses other than fish. My parents are really into in my tanks too, so they'll help out on some of the more expensive stuff as long as I do all of the matinence.

I know right? I'm naturally really good at working on tiny scales (aquariums included) but have little luck on larger projects of any kind. It's weird really, but the smaller my aquariums, the better the plants and inhabitants survive (don't worry though there is enough water for the creatures to thrive in I'm not cruel)

Ah, that's the thing, my parents aren't invested in my tanks I'm glad they are with yours though! Please show us the finished aquascape when it's done!!

aced it
I'll probably post so many pictures of it everyone will be begging me to stop

Mary765
I'll probably post so many pictures of it everyone will be begging me to stop

Brilliant just the way we like it

aced it
The filter is up and running and processing ammonia! Tying on the cycled media worked really well, and the tank processed 4 ppm in 2 days (accidentally overdosed). I don't have a ton of time during the week, so I'm going to keep feeding the cycle this week and start the scape next week. I found some beautiful dragonstone at my one of my LFSs, so I'm probably going to use some of that. I don't have a ton of plants near me, so it looks like I'll be ordering online. The shrimp won't go in for another two weeks, probably, but it'll feel good to get something in this tank!

Attachments

• IMG_2706.JPG
    IMG_2706.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 60
PonzLL
Doing good! By the way, I always fishless cycle with 4ppm and don't have any issues at all. Whenever I'm read to add fish, my tanks usually gobble up 4ppm ammonia and whatever nitrite that produces in like 12 hours!

If you have plants, water, and substrate from an established tank it'll go a long way in that shrimp tank because a lot of what shrimp eat (especially the younger ones) is the stuff you get over time in a well established tank.

Bacter AE is a great food source as well but having a well established tank goes a really long way.

That said, my shrimp tank was only up about a month when I added them, and it's doing well.

aced it
I have some java moss and extra rock from my established 45 that I could move. With my rcs tank, I've been feeding a mix of pellets and algae wafers that have been crushed into a powder. They get a small amount every other day and they seem to really like it. I was thinking about doing the same thing for this tank for the first few months to be sure they have something to eat on top of using water and some extra rocks and plants from the 45.

PonzLL
Sounds like you've got a good plan in place. I crushed up food too before buying dedicated shrimp baby food, and it worked fine from what I could tell!

aced it
HI again! I meant to have the tank scaped and stocked by now, but life and school got in the way and I've been sitting with an empty tank for a month. I've been feeding ammonia to keep the cycle going, and its processing everything really well I finally got to go to the fish store today and picked up the substrate and hardscape. I found a nice chunk of dragonstone and some really pretty white sand. It's the kind the LFS uses in its display tanks, and while it definitely wasn't the cheapest option, it does look really nice. I don't know how long it will be before I can get everything in the tank, but at least I have it!

IMG_2845.JPG
IMG_2847.JPG
IMG_2848.JPG

Mary765
HI again! I meant to have the tank scaped and stocked by now, but life and school got in the way and I've been sitting with an empty tank for a month. I've been feeding ammonia to keep the cycle going, and its processing everything really well I finally got to go to the fish store today and picked up the substrate and hardscape. I found a nice chunk of dragonstone and some really pretty white sand. It's the kind the LFS uses in its display tanks, and while it definitely wasn't the cheapest option, it does look really nice. I don't know how long it will be before I can get everything in the tank, but at least I have it!
View attachment 498075 View attachment 498076 View attachment 498077

I know what it's like to be delayed for months when education gets in the way, but it's ok I believe in you

Fishcat
I went to the fish store to pick up some wood and rock to rescape my female betta's tank and came home with a 2.5 nano tank. It was $60 originally, but the store owner said he would give it to us for $10 if we agreed to take it right then. Of course we said yes, and now I have a nano tank that I have no idea what to do with.
There are certainly worse problems to have. Now I want to lurk at my LFS with a hopeful look on my face.

I've always wanted to try a proper aquascape but I'm a student with no money so I make 1cm by 1cm by 5cm sealed terrariums instead using plants I find in my garden
Do you have pictures of your terrariums somewhere? That sounds amazingly tiny and I would like to see.

Mary765
Do you have pictures of your terrariums somewhere? That sounds amazingly tiny and I would like to see.

Sure! This is one of the larger ones I could find in my gallery, along with a tiny one filled with moss (needs trimming) and a tiny one with a singular small plant in it (this one is new so the plant is still small). I made the heart and chains myself

Attachments

• 20180602_215927.jpg
    20180602_215927.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20180602_215915.jpg
    20180602_215915.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20181104_133140.jpg
    20181104_133140.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20181104_133516.jpg
    20181104_133516.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 52
Fishcat
That is amazing. So very, very small.

aced it
Sure! This is one of the larger ones I could find in my gallery, along with a tiny one filled with moss (needs trimming) and a tiny one with a singular small plant in it (this one is new so the plant is still small). I made the heart and chains myself

Those are so cute! I love the little hearts on the chains too

aced it
There are certainly worse problems to have. Now I want to lurk at my LFS with a hopeful look on my face.

There definitely are! You never know what deals they'll give you if don't lurk around hopefully

Mary765
Those are so cute! I love the little hearts on the chains too

Aww thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
rainbowsprinkles
Replies
Views
Andres391
Replies
Views