Surprise! 13 Guppy Fry, Now What?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by leannajayde, Mar 22, 2018.

1. leannajayde

leannajaydeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Experience:
    Just started
    So I had two female guppies in my qt tank. Neither of them looked pregnant, had dark gravid spots, nothing.
    However I woke up this morning to find 13 babies swimming peacefully along side the 2 grown females. Its amazing they didn't eat them over night.
    I normally would of just kept them in the tank but sick bay is no place for babies, plus its completely bare and once the mommas felt like eating some there would be nowhere for them to escape to.
    I have a 20 gallon long community tank with one other two week old fry in a large mesh floating breeder net so that's were I put the 13 newborns.
    Originally once my single 2 week old was a little bigger I was going to let him free into the tank.
    I have no other tank to raise the fry in expect for a fish bowl(gross), I only have my 20 community and my 5 gallon qt.
    My question is will all 14 fry grow big enough in the breeder trap till I can release them into the tank with the rest?
    Or will the small area restrict their growth? My community tank has several adult guppies, 3 small cory cats and a small lace cat(who im trying to rehom e)

What do I do?
    Tia!!

2. glofishguy1234567890

glofishguy1234567890Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    2 years
    I think you should get another tank. Or you could sell the fry, and yes the fry’s growth will be stunted if they do not get a bigger tank. I am dealing with a similar issue, but with platies. I have people to give them away to. I recommend that you get at least a ten gallon tank for your fry. If you get something that is smaller and all your fish survive(unlikely:emoji_cry, the tank will already be overstocked.
    Good luck!!!

3. OP
    OP
    leannajayde

Ratings:
    +35
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm trying to get something set up to give them away when they're at least a month(or a months size).
    The problem with getting a new tank is I have literally no place to put it
    I guess I can ask my grandma if she would be okay with me setting something up at her house but I'm only there on the weekends and i already know she wouldn't be doing daily wc until a cycle starts in the tank.
    I have like one of those large storage bin tubs I could set up for now. What would i need in it?
    An air stone, what else?
    And how would i clean it/do wc? Just like a normal tank?
    This is a pickle...

4. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty CichlidWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +212
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Leave them in sickbay until the quarantine is up! They have what mom has. Float some plastic plants (or sink them if they sink). Just take measures to make sure the plants are safe to put in the main tank if disease presents.

5. OP
    OP
    leannajayde

Ratings:
    +35
    Experience:
    Just started
    Definitly too late for that. Besides its only a 5 gallon and im dosing with meds every four days and I'm afraid that would kill them instantly.
    I have no idea what mammas have, one had dropsy symptoms the other had a fungus/tail rot symptoms. I got anothee 5 gallon from a friend that I'm going to set up tomorrow. Definitely not the ideal size but its all I have for now

6. glofishguy1234567890

glofishguy1234567890Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    2 years
    Here is what you need to do! Get so many plants in your main tank(real or fake) and I mean a ton of them! Take your chances and put the fry inside the tank. The fry will naturally hide and if you feed the adult fish a little bit more than usual, maybe if they see the fry(which I don’t think they will) they won’t eat them. When you feed your fish, crush some flakes and put them on the other side of your tank so that the fry may also eat. I hope this helps because you really are in a pickle!!
    Good Luck and keep trying!!!!

Also, unless the disease is a sex-linked disorder (which I don’t think it is), they DO NOT have what their mom has. It is just like humans! #bio class

Sorry, did not see the 5 gallon fish tank part. That will be fine if you plan on giving them away or selling them!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2018