Surface Scum- What is it?

Surface Scum- What is it?

StarGirl
StarGirl submitted a new resource:

Surface Scum- What is it? - How to rid your aquarium water surface of biofilm.

Have you ever wondered what that white filmy looking substance is at the surface of your aquarium? It's biofilm that builds up from proteins and/or organic solids. If there is little surface agitation you may have encountered this in your tank.

In most cases this comes from foods you feed your fish. Frozen bloodworms are famous for this. You may also get some after moving things around and stirring up the substrate. Neither of my filter outflows keep it away in my tanks, no matter how I...
Read more about this resource...

StarGirl
Any comments or things I should change? Suggestions?

EllsAquarium
Hi! Thanks for this! This is my first time on the forum as a member, so excited to be here!
Recently I noticed a rainbow film on the surface of my tank, read what I could, decided it wasn’t harmful for my tank but always wondered why it’s happening! I introduced African Dwarf Frogs last month to my tank and have been feeding them thawed bloodworms with tweezers. This is probably the reason for my film!
Thanks!

Betta'sAnonymous
I finally read as well. Never tried the cup trick. I ha e had success with the paper towel, though. I just found it easier in the long run to make sure i have the surface agitation going good so it stays away.

EllsAquarium
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I finally read as well. Never tried the cup trick. I ha e had success with the paper towel, though. I just found it easier in the long run to make sure i have the surface agitation going good so it stays away.
The paper towel has worked just fine for me too!

Berryblue
I will definitely be using these tips the next time I com across this.

Latest threads

Top Bottom