Surface Agitation to fix film on the top of my water

offminded
I am having a bit of a film on the top of my water...I am thinking its because there isn't enough surface agitation. I pointed my water returns a bit higher, but it hasn't helped much. I have one powerhead, but I think the obvious is to get more and direct water flow up...am I in the right ball park? Can anyone offer suggestions? Thanks!

Shawnie
hope for a windy day ?? wish I could help but saltwater is too intimidating for me...still waiting on pics of yours tho!!

Mike
Definitely need more water movement in saltwater tanks... Have you checked out these attachments for powerheads? Hydor Flo Rotaters

The water going thru the powerhead moves them in a circular motion creating turbulent water flows, including breaking up the surface for optimal gas exchange. The only downside is that they have to be cleaned every so often or they stop rotating.

I have 5 maxijet 1200's (300 gph each) in my 55 gallon.

offminded
hope for a windy day ?? wish I could help but saltwater is too intimidating for me...still waiting on pics of yours tho!!

a windy day...awesome!! I'll post one in a few minutes...don't hope for too much...

offminded
Definitely need more water movement in saltwater tanks... Have you checked out these attachments for powerheads? Hydor Flo Rotaters

The water going thru the powerhead moves them in a circular motion creating turbulent water flows, including breaking up the surface for optimal gas exchange. The only downside is that they have to be cleaned every so often or they stop rotating.

I have 5 maxijet 1200's (300 gph each) in my 55 gallon.

i'll check them out...do you have your powerheads pointed all over the place or is there some general pattern? I should get a few more. is it wise to pointone or two ar the surface and make it turbulent at the surface?

Shawnie
a windy day...awesome!! I'll post one in a few minutes...don't hope for too much...

tapping foot!

offminded
tap no more...

Mike
I have mine all pointed in different directions. Yeah, you need to break up the surface of the water for gas exchange and pointing a powerhead or two towards the surface should do the trick.

offminded
ok great...it sounds like I am headed to the store to get some more power heads...woo hoo...thanks!

agsansoo
Do a Maxi-jet mod ... That will get your water moving ! ;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Blueskies
Replies
Views
Marijn Lange
Top Bottom