Surface agitation for co2 high tech tank

bodul67
Good morning all. I have a 55gal deep substrate dirted tank with 3" sand capping with a 20gal sump filter. I have CO2 injection. I have a wave maker above diffuser to disperse co2 and on the other side of tank is another wave maker to circulate co2. This circulation does make a shimmering surface agitation. My question is should there be more agitation or no agitation for the o2/co2 balance. I've read so many websites & forums that for my size tank yes I should have more and some say no agitation. At the moment I can't get any pearling on plants. So confused.

fishnovice33
The ideal set up is as much surface agitation as possible while also being able to maintain 30 ppm co2.

Some people have a hard time maintaining co2 for whatever reason with a lot of agitation so they adjust agitation. With a good quality regulator, I personally don’t see how that can be an issue. Maybe they just don’t want to spend money refilling it all the time. Also in my plant only tanks I have very little agitation.

Co2 is cheap so I blast as much as I need to with the highest agitation to obtain 25-30 ppm for the light cycle. That’s about 8-9 bubbles per second in a similar sized tank, but that is subjective. The plants and fish are now happy.

Simply agitate as much as possible and adjust co2. But never sacrifice flow for agitation.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom