Sure got me confused

barbiespoodle

A number of years ago, being an old lady it's hard to try to guess, but has to be over 10 years and probably longer, I bought these basically sticks that were labeled brugmansia, aka angel trumpets. Anyhow, they were suppose to be a white, a yellow and a pink.

Being in a northern climate, I hauled these sticks inside every fall and repotted every spring. And they grew and finally bloomed. Much to my dismay, they ended up being two yellows and one pink, I really wanted a white.

I now have a total of 5, another that was labeled orange, but doesn't look any different my yellows and one that I accidentally cut off while doing the spring pruning and just stuck into the pot and it rooted, ended up being pink. The older 4 are now about 7 feet tall, the younger about 4 feet tall, and have always bloomed as 2 yellow, 1 orange and 2 pink.

Until this year. While touring the gardens this morning, imagine my surprise when I found a white bloom on the same plant as a orange/yellow. I looked at the base of the plant thinking that maybe there were two plants intertwined although I knew this couldn't be since I have repotted these plants for years. Nope, one base.

But won't complain, finally got the white I always wanted.

Anyhow, here's a pic of my first white bloom.

Attachments

OP
B

barbiespoodle

SAcichlids, that is my deep dark secret, I'm a gardenaholic:oops:. I have been gardening longer than I have been keeping fish, over 50 years now. I have some plants I consider pets. I actually cry when a beloved perennial I've had forever gives up the ghost, plants also have a lifeline, they don't last forever. And I also have many tropicals I haul in every fall, again, beloved pets and I'm just as proud of their progress as I am with my furry/finny pets. And like my furry/finny pets, I also have my problem childs but love them just because they are problem childs, lol. I love finding unusual plants, growing them and then trying to over winter the favorites or getting giddy when I find some that reseeded when not expected.

Yea, I know, silly. But my gardens are my retreat just as much as my tanks are. They are a place I can escape the stress of my everyday life. Having 4 acres, I'm able to create different scenes, flowers, greenery, edible, wilder wildlife areas. On my days off I love to take a cup of coffee and watch the morning come in. This is my view from my porch were I sit. And the start of my drive showing some recused lilies and some of my beloved hostas. And one of unusual plants I overwintered and looking nice this year.

Attachments

ElysiumPlants

barbiespoodle said:
A number of years ago, being an old lady it's hard to try to guess, but has to be over 10 years and probably longer, I bought these basically sticks that were labeled brugmansia, aka angel trumpets. Anyhow, they were suppose to be a white, a yellow and a pink.

Being in a northern climate, I hauled these sticks inside every fall and repotted every spring. And they grew and finally bloomed. Much to my dismay, they ended up being two yellows and one pink, I really wanted a white.

I now have a total of 5, another that was labeled orange, but doesn't look any different my yellows and one that I accidentally cut off while doing the spring pruning and just stuck into the pot and it rooted, ended up being pink. The older 4 are now about 7 feet tall, the younger about 4 feet tall, and have always bloomed as 2 yellow, 1 orange and 2 pink.

Until this year. While touring the gardens this morning, imagine my surprise when I found a white bloom on the same plant as a orange/yellow. I looked at the base of the plant thinking that maybe there were two plants intertwined although I knew this couldn't be since I have repotted these plants for years. Nope, one base.

But won't complain, finally got the white I always wanted.

Anyhow, here's a pic of my first white bloom.
Here’s a related plant I have:

Attachments

OP
B

barbiespoodle

Ah yea, the good old datura and I think you are right in that they are related to my brugs, but don't quote me on that.

I use to have the exact same ones you do and I loved them, but for some reason my hubby didn't like them. He's home all day, I work. I would come home to find many a plant I like gone, caused more than one fight, we are still on outs about my stupid plain ditch lilies :banghead:. But for some reason he loves the white datura, keeps every one of the thousands reseeds and plants that make it through the winter. And they are beautiful and their smell is intoxicating, but come on, how many do you need? Even now he's taking about putting some in the new perennial bed and not only is the bed too small, but I already have them everywhere, I want new to me plants.

Sorry about the rant, your blooms are beautiful, wish I still had mine.

Side note, be careful with datura's. They are beautiful, but they are also a narcotic. I do not have children to get around them and my pets are controlled so unable to get to them. Just something to keep in mind.

New Threads