Suprise Bristlenose Babies

Dmmoorho

So I was cleaning the tank earlier and rinsing out the filter media.
We have an external filter canister and when I came to empty it I noticed a few babies. They look to be bristlenoses, since then we have spotted at keast another 5 in the tank (I'm sure there'll be more).
As we weren't expecting this we are not prepared at all and do not have a separate tank to move them too. All we have is a guppy breeding box thay sits in the tank.
My question is, would it be best to leave them in the main tank or move (if possible) to the small guppy breeding box until they are little bigger and can't fit into the filter?

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_182333.jpg
    IMG_20210620_182333.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 15

BigManAquatics

I vould cover the filter intake with some panty hose or a prefilter sponge to keep them out of there.

Upvote 0

Dmmoorho

I vould cover the filter intake with some panty hose or a prefilter sponge to keep them out of there.
Thanks. I did think of this bit wasn't sure if it would affect the water quality too much as it would reduce the efficiency.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I agree with Betta'sAnonymous The only way to keep them out of the filter is a pre-filter sponge or anything to block their ability to get in there. Just rinse the sponge or covering often to prevent a slow down.

I do want to mention. As long as you have a male and female in the same tank you can expect more fry each month. If you aren't prepared for that many plecos you may want to separate them. My super reds produce their first fry. Before I got around to separating them I had another spawn of them. I ended up with well over 200 of them. I didn't expect the second spawn to happen so quickly. It was right at a month between spawns.

Upvote 0

Dmmoorho

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I agree with Betta'sAnonymous The only way to keep them out of the filter is a pre-filter sponge or anything to block their ability to get in there. Just rinse the sponge or covering often to prevent a slow down.

I do want to mention. As long as you have a male and female in the same tank you can expect more fry each month. If you aren't prepared for that many plecos you may want to separate them. My super reds produce their first fry. Before I got around to separating them I had another spawn of them. I ended up with well over 200 of them. I didn't expect the second spawn to happen so quickly. It was right at a month between spawns.

We actually thought we had two females but turns out one was just younger and didn't have his bristles initially. A bit naive but we didn't realise how many fry they had at once. Will probably see how it goes and if they are as prolific at breeding as everything says we will have to consider a separate tank.
Can anyone recommend the best intake sponge for a fluval 207 in the meantime?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
taj13
  • Question
Replies
Views
Hpup456
  • Question
Replies
Views