Supplementing egg shells for Nerite Snail

Jaafar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi!
I have a 16 gallon (60x30x34 cm) lightly planted freshwater tank. The tank is cycled and currently has these parameters:
NO3 10
NO2: 0
GH: 4-8
KH: 7
PH: 6.87

I am planing to add a Nerite Snail to the tank in a week or so. Before then I want to increase the water hardness since I have read that it currently is too low for a Nerite to thrive. I wanted to do this by adding egg shells to the water. Alot of people have written great things about adding egg shells but I don't know how to go about it. How much should you add, is it a one time thing or should you add small quantities every so often, how finely crushed should they be? If you have used egg shells as a water supplement before I would love to know what method you used. Also feel free to suggest other things I should prepare for my Nerite Snail's arrival. (Increasing PH is unfortunately not ideal since I have fish that thrive in lower PH.)

Thank you!

emilydupree17

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaafar said:
Hi!
I have a 16 gallon (60x30x34 cm) lightly planted freshwater tank. The tank is cycled and currently has these parameters:
NO3 10
NO2: 0
GH: 4-8
KH: 7
PH: 6.87

I am planing to add a Nerite Snail to the tank in a week or so. Before then I want to increase the water hardness since I have read that it currently is too low for a Nerite to thrive. I wanted to do this by adding egg shells to the water. Alot of people have written great things about adding egg shells but I don't know how to go about it. How much should you add, is it a one time thing or should you add small quantities every so often, how finely crushed should they be? If you have used egg shells as a water supplement before I would love to know what method you used. Also feel free to suggest other things I should prepare for my Nerite Snail's arrival. (Increasing PH is unfortunately not ideal since I have fish that thrive in lower PH.)

Thank you!
You could always use Tums too. The olive nerites I got from the seller had cracked shells and were patchy with missing bits of shell :confused: I read online that adding calcium could help them from pretty much slowly deteriorating. I’ve read eggshells work too, but it takes longer because it’s just too course for snails to eat. It also takes extra time for the eggshell to break down into the water so that would be something good to toss in your tank for a while prior to getting them, but you’ll have to keep doing it every time you do water changes unless you put it in like your canister filter. I don’t know how much exactly to put in the tank, but I know if I toss a Tums in the tank before bed it’ll be pilfered by my snails by morning, so maybe try that for immediate help. It may cloud your water temporarily if you use too much, but it clears up over the next day or so.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That hardness should actually be ok for your nerite so I wouldn't worry too much. That being said its always good to add some calcium for them to snack on. I usually don't crush the egg up much at all and just leave in one or two larger pieces. I however have 2 nerites and 3 black devils along side countless ramshorns.

If you strictly want to up the hardness alone though the eggs will take a while to break down. I actually put cleaned seashells in my tank as they have the same effect. If you don't like the look of it you could put the pieces into a mesh bag and put it in the filter.

Supplying foods with higher calcium content is a good idea and can help keep their shells nice and strong. This can be in the form of foods like kale and lettuce, or if you're feeling crafty you could make snello!

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
I think you will be fine as is, but they do like a higher PH GH and KH.

Calcium carbonate, (eggshell, seashell, cuttlebone, coral) will increase KH, GH and PH.

If you only want to increase GH use something like Seachem Equilibrium.

Anything that increases KH will also increase PH.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I've always read that cuttlebone was a good supplement and it's easier than eggshells. I broke one in half and added the two pieces to my tank but had to weigh them down with a small rock glued to the back, until they were waterlogged enough to stay on the bottom. Honestly, I've seen my snails everywhere but on the cuttlebone. I never saw a difference in my water parameters either. I can't say that it makes a difference either way, but I keep it there because it gives me peace of mind, knowing I'm doing what I can to make their lives a little better :).

New Threads