Superglue In Tank???

amariel9

Valued Member
Reaction score
I saw a lifewithpets YouTube video about creating fish hideouts with coconut shells, moss balls, and superglue, and I was wondering if this is actually safe for the fish/if it matters what type of glue is used. Thanks in advance!!

amariel9

Valued Member
Reaction score
yukondog said:
I've been using supper glue in my tanks and have never had a problem.
Do you know if there's a specific brand/type that must be used, or is anything okay?

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think most people use gorilla gel type or the loctite gel.
They say to look for the type that contains cyranoacrylate.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Make sure that it says cyanoacrylate on the side!

Liquid will work, but gel is easier to work with in water.

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anything that is the Loctite brand generally has worked really well for me, especially their gel. In my experience, gorilla glue isn't as good because it takes a bit longer to cure. Make sure that the main ingredient is cyanoacrylate and that the glue doesn't have any antibacterial or anti-fungal substances in it.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Loctite is pretty nice.

I've actually had better luck securing heavier things with Gorilla Glue (hard corals). Takes a bit longer, but holds better.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had no clue I could use some glue in tank ... this just opened up whole new world of possibilities

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Katarina said:
I had no clue I could use some glue in tank ... this just opened up whole new world of possibilities
You just HAVE to let it cure properly. Like if it says let dry for 24 hours, leave it for 48.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
2211Nighthawk said:
You just HAVE to let it cure properly. Like if it says let dry for 24 hours, leave it for 48.
Most glue doesn't have any cure time.

When I glue corals, I'll usually take the coral and rock out of the tank, dry off the area that'll I'll be gluing, glue it, hold it for about a minute and plop it back into the tank. No issues. A lot of people even glue while the coral is underwater in the tank.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lorekeeper said:
Most glue doesn't have any cure time.

When I glue corals, I'll usually take the coral and rock out of the tank, dry off the area that'll I'll be gluing, glue it, hold it for about a minute and plop it back into the tank. No issues. A lot of people even glue while the coral is underwater in the tank.
True. I guess I’d just be super paranoid.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom