Superglue? Cant be submerged in water

Randomfish556

I bought some superglue because I kept seeing people recommend it, it is the kind with cyanoacrylate. But on the back it says it is not recommended for bonding parts which are subject to immersion in water. Is there a specific kind that can be used?

mattgirl

You;ve got the right stuff. Getting it wet isn't a problem. I actually dip it in water to quickly set it when I glue plants to items in my tank.

Randomfish556

You;ve got the right stuff. Getting it wet isn't a problem. I actually dip it in water to quickly set it when I glue plants to items in my tank.
Are you sure its good to use if the back says it isnt recommended to? I got it to attach plants to rocks and wood

PAcanis

I think it loses some of its "super" ability. I've used it for sticking plants onto rocks, but I've tried to glue a piece of wood to a rock with several contact points and I think I would have been better off using silicone.

mattgirl

Are you sure its good to use if the back says it isnt recommended to? I got it to attach plants to rocks and wood
Yes, I am positive. Many folks here on the forum use it, including me. Keep in mind, it doesn't take much to get the job done. It is going to turn white when the water hits it so you don't want it smeared all of the piece you are gluing the plant to. Just a dot of it should hold the plant in place long enough for it to root to the rock or wood.

jinjerJOSH22

I wouldn't worry too much, plants will eventually attach themselves anyway, this is just a boost to get them started.
Maybe you wouldn't be able to reliably stick two rocks together without worry, but plants should be fine.

MasterPython

Super glue is waterproof and food safe once it dries, it turns into solid acrylic. It looks really crappy if you try to glue wet stuff together but it still works.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bryangar
Replies
Views
SaltyPhone
Replies
Views
Shahbazin
Replies
Views