Super Stressed About Cloudy Water

applejax

I've been battling cloudy water for at least two weeks, and it's stressing me out now.

Not sure what I did, it was clear, then it got cloudy and has stayed that way. I tried Purigen, which lasted 6 days. Dosed with Pristine. Water changes don't seem to make it better or worse.

Last day or two, I haven't seen our Pleco as much. I put two more plants in yesterday, and a piece of driftwood today. Put the new driftwood in and it looked like stuff came off it, so I took it out and boiled that and another piece of driftwood already in the tank. Put them both back in and shortly the white cloudiness became yellow cloudiness. So I took the Algone out of one filter (a packet still in another) to reduce overflow. I started keeping a log as of 4/2, which I learned too late starts after the cloudiness. My log summary for today was:

1618196201681.png

any suggestions? At this point I'm mostly paranoid about the fish. As long as they're okay, I can work to resolve the cloudiness. Frustrated and worried.

*edit/add: I just went to say goodnight and the pleco was upside down on the driftwood, so perhaps that makes me feel a little better.

LowConductivity

This tank is new (been running for months), or old (year +)?

applejax

LowConductivity said:
This tank is new (been running for months), or old (year +)?
Been up a few months. Not long enough for me to be settled, but went through cycling issues previously. lfs helped me test the water through it and eventually gave the go-ahead, probably in early March. I've since bought an API test kit, and last test logged on 4/8 looked like 0,0,5-10.

LowConductivity

applejax said:
Been up a few months. Not long enough for me to be settled, but went through cycling issues previously. lfs helped me test the water through it and eventually gave the go-ahead, probably in early March. I've since bought an API test kit, and last test looked like 0,0,5-10.
Excellent. New tanks often see a bacterial bloom that makes the water appear somewhat cloudy. It’s generally regarded as harmless, although annoying. I’m not sure that there’s anything to be done to clear it up, outside of waiting for it to run it’s course and clear out.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom