Super sick fish, sunken stomach, pineconing, help!

TheNacho

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 110 Litres
How long has the tank been running? 6+ momths
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 26°
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 pleco, 5 mollies (now 4), 4 cardinal tetras, 4 molly fry, cherry shrimps

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once every week, occasionally every other week
How much of the water do you change? 20%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum most times

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Jbl 7 in 1 test
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 (max)
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? A few pinches
What brand of food do you feed your fish? AHM guppy flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Occasionally freeze dried blood worms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? A few months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Potentially since the beginning, major symptoms started a few days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? One fish had a sunken stomach since I got her, a few days ago another molly started having red marks on her body and died, today I noticed one of the cardinals with a red puffy eye and another one pineconing.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Currently quarantining the 2 cardinals
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No, however I got 10 tetras and only 4 survived quarantine
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Illness symptoms + cardinals not always schooling together

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
a few months ago I got 3 new mollies and 10 tetra cardinals, to add to my tank which already had 2 balloon mollies and a pleco. 6 of the tetras died in quarantine, but I was told they're just fragile fish. One of the new mollies also had a pretty flat stomach, but her behavior was ok so I didn't think much of it. She still seems ok now so idk if its relevant.
One of the tetras started getting kinda fat/bloated and losing some color maybe 1-2 months ago, but I thought it was maybe a female with eggs or something like that, since it was still schooling and eating.
Then a few days ago one of the balloon mollies starts getting red marks on her body, she also rested on the substrate and couldn't move much. I put her in salt water but she died the same night.
Now I noticed that the pale cardinal is kinda pineconing, the scales look real bad, plus another tetra has a weird red and puffy eye that definitely didn't look like that yesterday, and neither is schooling with the other two. Currently I put both of them in quarantine. Fish stores in our country don't really have fish meds, and now because of vivid they're barely stocked and don't even have aquarium salt. I had to use kitchen salt for the salt bath.

Can anyone help? What's happening? I don't want to lose more fish...

Attachments

• 20210323_231448.jpg
    20210323_231448.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210323_231444.jpg
    20210323_231444.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210323_231428.jpg
    20210323_231428.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210323_231415.jpg
    20210323_231415.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210323_231415.jpg
    20210323_231415.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210323_231412.jpg
    20210323_231412.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210321_113249.jpg
    20210321_113249.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210321_112403.jpg
    20210321_112403.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210321_112400.jpg
    20210321_112400.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 22

darkcat

Oh no... Sorry for what has happened. Well, you shouldn't use kitchen salt unfortunately... Kitchen salt is treated with chemicals which are bad for your fishes. I don't know how to fix that... Try to put the ones in the salt to another container if you can. You also feed the cardinal a pinch everyday? Because those pinecone for when they're being too full. You can treat them by aquarium salt but you don't have one... I don't know what to do. But I know that kitchen salt is BAD for your fish so remove your fish from the tank like I said earlier. Thats what I can tell you. Keep us updated!! I'll be researching about it too so. I was a little too late to notice that this was happening. Sorry.
Also, if you have these it would help: Melafix and Pimafix.
Melafix is the treatment for Popeyes. Pimafix to prevent stressing your fish and it won't make its immune system weaker (I hope. it was on my research) If you really want your fish to live, I guess you'll have to go to other places. Calling the shop saves time btw!!!

Upvote 0

TheNacho

Thank you. If I do get my hands on pimafix and melafix, is it safe to use them on the whole tank, the healthy fix and cherry shrimp?

Upvote 0

darkcat

I wouldn't recommend you putting the medicine to your main tank. Some medicine can stain your tank (like ich medication) Other medications can be bad for your plant. So I would use the QT. BTW, if your Quarantine Tank is a bowl, oxygen won't be in there much so try to make it to a container or a tank that's not a bowl.

Upvote 0

TheNacho

I don't have a spare tank right now so the quarantined tetras are in a fishbowl with an air stone and I'm changing some of the water every day. So far no change and the fish in the main tank seem ok, except the 2 other tetras who definitely don't like not having their school...
I did some online digging and the only shop in the COUNTRY that had any medications is too far and I won't be able to go there. Looking into getting it delivered. Any other advice?

Upvote 0

darkcat

Ok, I guess you should get your package delivered. Keep us updated!! Good luck!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
brimynyx
Replies
Views
ZMan1
Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses
Replies