Super Low PH 55 Gallon Tank 

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It was not even registering on my API Liquid Master Test Kit. I did a 30% water change and now it is between 6.0 and 6.4. Water out of my tap varies from 6.8-7.2 depending on the day. I am uploading pics of two rocks that came with my tank (on craigslist) that I added recently. Before these additions, my ph was around 7.2 in tank.

Attachments

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is the driftwood real? And what is your water change schedule?

When you test your tap's pH, you gather the water and then test after 24 hours, or you test right after getting it out of the tap?

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fake drift wood, once a week 30% changes (my last water change before today was between wednesday and friday of last week, I'm off work on disability and the days are running together lol) and I test my water straight from the tap. should I sit it out over night then test?

Also after thinking of it, there are several other reasons I believe it is a something in the tank issue and not a source water issue.
1. My other tank tests at 7.2 right now (it also got a water change today with ph 6.8 water)
2. When I bought the tank used, it came with an open container of ph up, suggesting that the previous owner also had low ph issues.
3. The ph had regularly been testing fine. I recently (during my last water change) added the two real rocks and fake driftwood.
4. I just discovered this one. The rock in the first pic bubbled A LOT when I put it in. It was a light rock, I assumed it was porous and it was air escaping, but when I took it out just now (I suspected it was the issue), no water poured out, leading me to believe that it was reacting in some way with the water, producing the bubbles.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
best way to test tap pH is to let it sit for 24 hours (with aeration if possible) and then test.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If this is in your planted tank the drop in PH is likely caused by the plants using up the minerals in the water. I am in Southern Oregon and we have VERY soft water here. I added a small amount of crushed coral in my planted tank to maintain the KH of the water. It did help stabilize things but then I found we also lack Magnesium and Calcium in the water. I now use a 1/2 recommended dose of Seachems Equilibrium during water changes to maintain the minerals. It has done wonders for my plants and my ph drops.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I suggest that you also remove the porous rock, at least as a test. Good hard heavey rocks are usually the best, and quartz type rocks will never affect your tanks.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rocks will never lower your PH. They can raise it...but not lower it.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
have you done a recent test for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? if a minI cycle is going on, the ph will be all over the place...and seeing how the tank is new to you, even though it was cycled, it could be a minI cycle....and the color on your parrots, is normal...those spots will come and go as they grow..and will also come and go according to their moods/stress/breeding etc...

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
all other tests came out normal. There are no live plants in this tank, just fake. Only the ph was off. I'm glad the spots are normal. I was getting seriously worried. lol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Shawnie is correct. The Bloody Parrots will get black spots during their juvenile period. They come and go and absolutely nothing to worry about

I would suggest increasing your pH levels. Adding crushed coral to your tank or tanks filter will help. I keep my pH levels at 8.0 for my Bloody Parrots. Please don't use any chemicals to alter your pH levels as they are unstable and can lead to a pH crash resulting in fish loss.

Best wishes!
Ken

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I will look into the coral. I plan on doing another small water change today to raise the ph.

I just confirmed that this is not a source water issue. I had a cup of water that had been sitting beside my bed for 24+ hours, tested its ph, and it was 7.2. So this combined with my other observations has me convinced that it is something in the tank lowering my ph.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads