Super high nitrites and nitrates

Fishymom64

Hello everyone! I have been cycling my 36 gal tank since the 9th and I’m pretty sure I’m almost done. I have a few questions of what I should do because I’ve been looking everywhere but can’t seem to find any answers. So my ammonia is at 1 ppm and I keep adding a little bit to keep it there (it goes down to zero within 24 hours) but my nitrites and nitrates are really high. My nitrites have been at 4-5 ppm for about 4 days and my nitrates have just reached 70. I did a 30 percent water change two days ago and another one today. Other than my ammonia going down, it’s stayed the same. What should I do? Should the nitrites disappear soon? Should I do a huge water change? Thank you for any input!

WilburTheGoldfish

I think your nitrites are peaking at the moment

Upvote 0

Fishymom64

So should I just keep adding ammonia so it stays at 1 ppm? Also do I need to keep doing lots of eater changes because my nitrates or so high? Sorry for all the questions

Upvote 0

WilburTheGoldfish

Usually, you add ammonia once or twice and that's it, if it is a fishless cycle it will balance itself out, no need for water changes.

Upvote 0

Fishymom64

Alright thank you!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

This is just a normal part of a cycling tank. I would let the ammonia get down close to zero before adding more. As long as the ammonia is going down within 24 hours there is no need to be doing water changes. If the ammonia stops going down you may want to do a water change then but for now just keep feeding the bacteria.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sankalpakc
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl