Super Fast Cycle?

AnimeStar4

So I'm confused. I set up a 5 gallon betta tank about 3 days ago. I did leave the filters carbon cartridges (didnt come with a bio foam but im going to be adding some) in a cycled tank for a day before moving them over and add quick start. whats confusing me is I had about a .25 ammonia level yesterday that I ignored expecting to do a water change today and today I check and bith ammonia and nitrites are at 0... it did just occur to me that I have a faux moss ball in the tank, would that explain my readings and will it mess with cycling?

Lmg01

I don’t think a day is long enough for filter cartridges to get bacteria. Plants wont mess with your cycle. I recommend leaving the filter media in your cycled tank filter for a few weeks if you want to fully cycle it

AnimeStar4

Lmg01 said:
I don’t think a day is long enough for filter cartridges to get bacteria. Plants wont mess with your cycle. I recommend leaving the filter media in your cycled tank filter for a few weeks if you want to fully cycle it
I did put some bio foam in the cycled tank to add into the new tank later but I needed to get something in the filter on that tank because i unfortunately had the betta before the tank so im doing a fish in cycle. thats why im really confused by the sudden 0s..

Lmg01

AnimeStar4 said:
I did put some bio foam in the cycled tank to add into the new tank later but I needed to get something in the filter on that tank because i unfortunately had the betta before the tank so im doing a fish in cycle. thats why im really confused by the sudden 0s..
It is possible for plants to reduce ammonia. There could also be some bacteria from the quick start which would also reduce ammonia

AnimeStar4

Lmg01 said:
It is possible for plants to reduce ammonia. There could also be some bacteria from the quick start which would also reduce ammonia
ok thank you. I was worried what might have happened was somehow i had just stopped having ammonia without cycling and was afraid of killing my bacteria. with the fish in there that shouldnt be an issue right?

Lmg01

AnimeStar4 said:
ok thank you. I was worried what might have happened was somehow i had just stopped having ammonia without cycling and was afraid of killing my bacteria. with the fish in there that shouldnt be an issue right?
As long as the fish is there producing ammonia then the bacteria won’t die from a lack of it.

AnimeStar4

Lmg01 said:
As long as the fish is there producing ammonia then the bacteria won’t die from a lack of it.
thats what I figured but wanted to make sure. thank you!

Top Bottom