Super excited about new tank.. now clueless as to what to put into it!

1. BettaBoysGirl Initiate Member

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a Biorb Life 30! Im really excited about it as I've been waiting 2 years for it to come down in price. Anyhow, Now that I have it... Im at a loss of what to put in it! Its currently cycling (fishless of course.) I need suggestions for plants as well as fish. The only thing I do know is going in there is a Zebra Nerite! I always have brown algae issues, and these little guys clean it right up for me and look gorgeous doing it! (as well as leaving my live plants alone.)

Now the tank is 30L or 8 gallons. It has a UGF type filteration. And I've have experience dealing with this brand as well as other tanks and have never had a problem. I own a 20 gallon community, a 5g Cresecent, a 5g Hex, and a 4g Baby Biorb. My baby Biorb is my favorite, and holds only 1 betta and a Zebra nerite. I know some may say this tank isnt suitable for anything, and if you feel that way, Im sorry, but I will be putting tropical fish in there. So dont bother posting if you are just going to bad mouth it please. I have thought of dabling with saltwater.. but feel I should practice on a larger scale before trying to do a nano tank with it. So... I would like to put at least one betta in there... and He will go in after whatever else I put in there. BUT, its okay if I dont put one in it. So... Let me hear your suggestions! Im so excited!

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Endlers and blue pearl shrimp, with no betta.

3. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Question, why put a betta in there? I would personally make it a Neon species tank with perhaps a couple of ottos and maybe a few sparkling gouramis.

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Are the bio-orbs the sphere style setups???

If so, I would avoid a betta, only because of the smaller surface area, given what I know about bettas liking to build bubble nests, and come up for air occassionally etc. Just my opinion, but I would prefer to put a betta in a tank with a larger surface area.

Other stocking suggestions - not a stocking list, but some that would probably do well.
    Rasboras (I like the Chilli and Harlequin)
    Many tetras (Neons, Cardinals, Glowlights come to mind) [note: Glowlights are a Tetra species, as distinct from Glofish, which are danios]
    Endlers Livebearers
    Celestial Pearl Danios

Just a couple that spring to mind.

5. cameronpalte Member Member

I don't recommend a beta. In fact I would recommend something along these lines.

-Option 1-
    6(Neon Tetra)
    2(Red Cherry Shrimp)

-Option 2-
    1(Male Guppy)
    3(Female Guppy)
    2(Red Cherry Shrimp)

-Option 3-
    1(Female Swordtail)
    15(Red Cherry Shrimp)

-Option 4-
    1(Bristle Nose Pleco)
    1(Male Guppy)

6. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

You could probably do a few Dario dario (Scarlet Badis). They're a nano species and pretty awesome looking, but a little hard to find.

7. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

I disagree. Guppies, Swordtails, and BN plecos need much larger tanks. My minimum tank size for a group of guppies is 20g and for Swordtails or Plecos it is 29g. Cherry shrimp is a very good idea though!

8. cameronpalte Member Member

Glad you liked cherry shrimp:). You are probably right about the swordtails and bn but guppies should be fine in a 10g, unless they have tons of fry:). I have 19 guppies in a 10g but they are only 1 week old and I will be upgrading them later.

9. BettaBoysGirl Initiate Member

Well.. As you can see from my name, I rather love bettas. ;)

Some BiOrbs are sperical. Infact my baby biorb is one of those, and I've kept the same betta in there for the past two years. He's truly flourished in it. So while I respect your opinion, I think theres nothing wrong with them for a betta. The bubbler isnt on all the time, so he has plenty of time to make nests, and I keep the it only filled about 3/4ths of hte way so he can come up for air. The BiOrb Life is actually square, not round. Heres a pic!

149476_3714774154477_1429388413_33475444_1934805685_n.jpg

I have thought of doing some tetras, but more along Cardinals, I have some in my community tank and love them! I want in no way shape or form, female livebearers in any of my tanks. Its bad enough I had two cories reproduce on me and produce one offspring, I know female livebearers can stay pregnant for up to 6 months. No thank you! Lol But thanks for the suggestion.

And Dont Plecos get huge?

10. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Depends on the species. The common pleco get's huge, but the Ancistrus Loricariidae stay quite small (mine are about 2-2.5" full grown)

11. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Unless you have a very docile Betta I wouldn't put any other fish in with him/her. You could try an ADF or two ;)

12. fighter55 Member Member

A betta, shrimp, and snails might be the way to go if you truly want a betta. Instead of a male,you could try a female. That would at least give you more options for fish, rather than inverts. An ADF would work too.