Super easy plants

Drew 43920

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Java Fern, Anubias

Chrisson said:
I was wondering. Are there aquarium plants that don't need clay or special plant substrates? Not floating ones.??? Because my plastic plants look hideous when algae grows on them!
Java Fern or Anubias tied to driftwood works well. Java Ferns are tall and thin, Anubias is short and broad leaf. You can add a little Flourish liquid occasionally to help growth. In your 10 gallon tank, assuming normal light, Anubias would be nice. Live plants really help the water chemistry.
What kind of algae are you dealing with ? Brown algae will often go away on its own. Algae is sometimes a sigh of overfeeding. We are all guilty of overfeeding sometimes.

2lucky

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Most plants will grow fine without any special mixture. just be sure to give them some sort of suppliment (liquid fertlizer etc)

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my case, I used java moss. I took a bundle and used heavy thread or you can use fishing line, or any cotton thread... just tie it around the bundle and the item you are attaching it to, whether it is the driftwood or rocks. It will eventually grow around and attach itself to the item you have tied it to.

OP
Chrisson

Chrisson

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys! My tank will be bright green one day thanks to this post! But that probably be a year because I have to pay my loan to my parents for the aquarium. ._.

Oh and the algae is green. A lot of stringy algae grows on one of the fake plants. I tried taking the fake plants out and letting the algae die and decompose but they stick on to it and now the plants is sorta brown now... (I kept the fake plant at a dark place)

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Depending on the driftwood or rocks, you may not even have to tie it down. I get the Malaysian driftwood with lots of nooks and crannies, and I just wedge the plant down into the cracks (don't force it... just put it in there enough that it will stay in place).

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ooibhuskyoo said:
I really don't get how to do this.. AND what does it look like?
Starting at the top is Java fern, in the middle with the wider ferny leaf (hard to see) is Bolbitis heudelottI and down at the bottom with the leaves that look like fingers is Java Fern "wendelov" I used push pins to hold them against the wood until they took hold.
The second pic is various anubias attached to rock. They are very attractive attached to wood also. I used rocks to hold them down until they took hold.
carol

OP
Chrisson

Chrisson

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow thanks for the pics! Maybe I'll buy like a small piece of driftwood and get rid of my ornaments and put plants on it. I was wondering are plants able to grow on roots as effective?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Chrisson said:
Wow thanks for the pics! Maybe I'll buy like a small piece of driftwood and get rid of my ornaments and put plants on it. I was wondering are plants able to grow on roots as effective?
Java fern and Anubias will attach to just about anything
Carol

Demosthenes

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
In my case, I used java moss. I took a bundle and used heavy thread or you can use fishing line, or any cotton thread... just tie it around the bundle and the item you are attaching it to, whether it is the driftwood or rocks. It will eventually grow around and attach itself to the item you have tied it to.
Where do you get java moss?

OP
Chrisson

Chrisson

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh I was wondering as well. Do the plants listed in this topic need Co2 injections and proper lighting?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
None of the ones mentioned so far need C02 or high lights.
Carol

OP
Chrisson

Chrisson

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for replying quick. So is it all right to use fluorescent lights. Mine are very bright.

SammyJ

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have this plant pack and none of them have died on me yet. They rooted into cheap gravel in a week and are already sprouting new leaves and whatnot.

New Threads