Super Easy Floating Plants For Betta?

BettaBliss

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could you suggest some floating plants for a 10 gallon betta tank? I have a Finnex Stingray light and I am willing to dose CO2 and/or ferts if necessary. I just want some super hardy floating plants that won't die easily.
When I first turned my tank into a planted tank, I purchased Brazillian Pennywort to use as a floater. All of it was completely dead in a month and a half. Next I purchased dwarf water lettuce which thrived for a few weeks and then slowly died off.
I would just like something that won't die so easily lol.
Thanks!

fishychachki

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had very similar experience with water lettuce, great for the first three weeks or so. Slowly yellowing and dying off after that. I just concluded my light and is not up to water lettuces requirement. Water spangles (salvania) worked great for me. I've heard others recommend frogbit for low-to-medium light. You can also give duckweed a shot if you are up to regularly removing some of them every two weeks or so.

OP
BettaBliss

BettaBliss

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
goplecos said:
Hornwort is the best. It is super hardy and if you don't trI'm it it will start spreading to the middle of the tank.
Thank you! I will keep an eye out for some hornwort!
fishychachki said:
I had very similar experience with water lettuce, great for the first three weeks or so. Slowly yellowing and dying off after that. I just concluded my light and is not up to water lettuces requirement. Water spangles (salvania) worked great for me. I've heard others recommend frogbit for low-to-medium light. You can also give duckweed a shot if you are up to regularly removing some of them every two weeks or so.
Thanks! And yea, it was so frustrating with the water lettuce lol! I will keep an eye out for some frogbit, duckweed, or salvania!

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Duckweed drives me crazy... hornwort can sometimes be messy...
frogbit, salvinia, red root floaters, dwarf water lettuce, and water Sprite are all good options.
Pennywort can be fussy and needs good lighting...
Water lettuce probably died off due to lack of nutrients... any fast growing floaters will need the occasional dose of fertilizer in a betta tank (low bioload so nothing to feed the plants)

goplecos

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jocelyn Adelman said:
Duckweed drives me crazy... hornwort can sometimes be messy...
frogbit, salvinia, red root floaters, dwarf water lettuce, and water Sprite are all good options.
Pennywort can be fussy and needs good lighting...
Water lettuce probably died off due to lack of nutrients... any fast growing floaters will need the occasional dose of fertilizer in a betta tank (low bioload so nothing to feed the plants)
All of the ones mentioned above are super easy to trim. The ones you picked are all great floating plants but need more care than the OP wants to do.

ThaiCaliber

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have both Amazon Frogbit and Salvinia Minima in my betta tank and my community sorority tank. Both grow just fine with or without co2

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Weird, my water lettuce is out of control. Like literally taking over the tank. The roots are all way way to the bottom and curled around on the floor a few inches.

Hornwort is super easy. So isn't frogbit. But if you're losing water lettuce, something might be a miss somewhere. Its really one of the easiest plants to grown.

ThaiCaliber

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yup, sounds like OP just needs to put in some husbandry and dose ferts accordingly

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You know, I just thought. If this is a 10 gallon with only a single betta, the bioload is definitely too small to support much plant life, if any. It would be super dependent on what's already IN the water when doing water changes.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here is a picture I JUST took. Its the end of my sons 10 gallon. We keep the water lettuce confined to the right side of the tank only because its so out of control. We had to take a ton out because it choked the tank. Check out the roots. Most are curled 3-6 inches on the bottom, so the roots are pushing a total of 20 inches long!

Attachments

ThaiCaliber

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Amazon Frogbit roots go down half way down my 36 bow as well. I either have to sell or throw away plants literally every week or else I would have no surface agitation lol

Betrayer

Well Known
Reaction score
I personally enjoy using water wisteria as a floating plant. I currently have it in my 29-gallon tank, as well as my son's 10-gallon betta tank. I do dose Flourish Comprehensive 1-2 times a week and Excel every other day (but to be completely honest, I definitely miss doses here and there).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

fishychachki

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't mean to hijack the thread but since I have a similar experience with the OP, do you think 8 CPDs would be give more bioload to sustain water lettuce (compared to a single male betta) in a 5.5g? My betta died a while ago and I've since replaced it with those tiny guys. Wondering if I should give dwarf water lettuce another shot with them now. I really like the dwarf water lettuce's bigger size and more lively looks compared to the super small salvinia.

Duckyn

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ha, I love how many of you guys have to thin out your floating plants . . . and then there's me, watching my duckweed die off. . . . But it sounds like my one betta isn't providing enough nitrates. I mean, I guess the stuff grows best when it's breaking down various dead things - not my tank, thanks!

By the way, all of these pictures look awesome!

New Threads