Super cloudy water

1. tremblingturtle Initiate Member

So I have a 55 gallon tank that has nothing but water and sand in it right now. And a fliter.
    I have had it set up for a week now, and I noticed this morning the water is so cloudy I can not see through it!
    Am I doing something wrong?

I have been adding a little fish food every day, I also added tetra safestart (I think that is what it is called, it said it had bacteria in it to help jumpstart the cycle) when I set it up.

I don't have a test kit right now, I was using strips but we are all out from using them on out little tank

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

The cloudiness is most likely a bacterial bloom which is common in new tanks. It should go away on its own.

Did the TSS+ say "Start Up" on the front? There's one that says "Monthly" which is for maintenance and won't cycle your tank.

I'd get the API Master Test Kit so you can monitor your water parameters as this is very important when cycling your tank.

3. brandondgk91 Initiate Member

It is very normal! When I started to cycle my tank the first thing it did was get extremely cloudy . this does go away just be patient! :;swls

4. tremblingturtle Initiate Member

Yes I made sure to get the start up one, they also had another one weekly maybe? Either way, I got the start up.
    Should I do a water change on it or just let it clear on its own?

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Did you add TSS at least 24 hrs after the use of a water conditioner?

When did you add the TSS? I know there are no detailed instructions that come with TSS but you aren't supposed to do any water changes for 14 days so that you allow the bacteria to establish itself. If after 14 days, you show 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite with some nitrates, you're cycled.

Using fish food can be done with fishless cycling but it's not ideal bc you can't control the ammonia you're dosing (not allowing it to get above 2ppm). Pure ammonia is much better and easier to use and it doesn't make a mess of your tank like fish food.

But more importantly, you'll need that liquid test kit asap so you can see how much ammonia you're getting and then to check for the other parameters.

6. tremblingturtle Initiate Member

I am not comfortable using ammonia.

Yes, it was a few days after I used conditioners and such when I put the safestart in. I also added in a little big of the gravel from my established tank to the large tank

7. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Pure ammonia is safe to use for fishless cycling. Many have used it to cycle their tanks and is preferred over fish food for reasons mentioned above. That said, you can use fish food but I would keep it in a fine mesh bag or nylon stocking so it doesn't make a mess of your tank.

If you have an established tank, you could just transfer some extra seeded filter media to instantly cycle this one without having to do a fishless cycle. How big is your other tank and how long has it been cycled?

8. tremblingturtle Initiate Member

We've had the smaller tank for a few months now. we did not know what we were doing at first and did a cycle with fish. It finished cycling (according to test strips, not the liquid tests) about 2-3 weeks ago. Ive just been feeding the empty tank every day. I will try the nylon.

I worry having ammonia around the house. Just my luck, even with it put up and away the kids will get into it after seeing me add it to one tank and kill off the other.

9. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

As you might already know, test strips are inaccurate so I would test your tanks with the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Far more accurate and cheaper in the long run. Knowing your true water parameters will be important especially when doing a fishless cycle so that you don't allow the ammonia to get too high that it will kill off the bacteria, thus stalling your cycle.

You can always store the pure ammonia along with your other cleaning agents that you have locked up. Just in case you change your mind about using a different ammonia source. :)

10. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

You can add the ammonia when they're in bed so they don't see you. Or before they wake up.