Super aggressive white cloud

Boeing250

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi,
I have a white cloud minnow who is with a black neon, and a glow light tetra, and he is fin nipping them! Do I need to get some more white clouds? Should I separate him? His tank has been set up for two years. It is a five gallon with a bubblier, and a filter.
Fin nipping was not a problem when I had a goldfish and two other white clouds.Should I get another goldfish? Should I get a tank for him and put him in it all alone? x

fishnewbie33

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WCMM are schooling fish and like to be in a group of 5+.
How big is your tank?

GgAcE

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
5 gallon tank is too small for him. As mentioned above, they are schooling fish. By itself in such a small tank it sounds like he is showing who the dominant party is. You may want to invest in a 10 gallon or larger to properly school them.

fishnewbie33

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you can manage to get either a 10 long or pref a 20 long tank, they are very fast fish and would appreciate the extra vertical swimming room.

What size tank are you keeping the goldfish in? They have a very heavy bioload and need a lot of space.

Ben3721

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I mean u can put 6 white clouds in a 5 gallon but they would have to be alone. White clouds can be very upset being alone. Go for a ten gal or 15 so u can keep your fish.

People don't understand when you put a schooling fish alone they get stressed... ever seen I Am Legend? Just saying your fish feels like will smith.

OP
Boeing250

Boeing250

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well I don't have the goldfish now he died of ich but he was in a five gallon.

fishnewbie33

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry about your goldfish. They really need more room, minimally 20+ gallons.

White clouds really like to be in a school, but they don't school tightly. I had 2 in a QT and the next day added 4 more and it was amazing how much calmer they seemed! When not stressed, they really use all levels of the tank and are fun to watch explore their territory. They also have a much lower bioload than goldfish.

Kellye8498

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, a 5 gallon is too small. Definitely too small for the gild fish since it's recommended that you have 20 gallons for the first goldfish and an extra 10-15 for each additional goldfish in the tank and that would be JUST the goldfish, no others in with it. I would try to upgrade to a larger tank if at all possible.

New Threads