Help super aggressive ghost shrimp!!!

userdan06

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hello, hopefully someone can advise me on my current problem.

ghost shrimp!

In my main tank I have 5 ghost shrimp 4 RCS and 4 amano (sp?)shrimp as well as a few khulI loaches and endlers livebearers.

Well I've had a small die off of endlers, all my older ones, well over a year old. I just assumed it was old age, but today I noticed my two big ghost shrimp acting kinda strange, they sat very still on my drift wood, with plants hanging over top of them. usually they are very active so I thought it was odd for them to be sitting still. after a few minutes an endler swam by the biggest ghost shrimp(2.5inches long or so) and he grabbed it, before I could get a net to try and separate them, the endler was dead.

just a few minutes ago I noticed the other big ghost shrimp had an endler too.

What can I do to stop them from hunting my endlers? they are fed daily, fish get omega one flakes, and for the shrimp and khulI they get ocean nutrition formula one pellets. they arn't going hungry, I can honestly say I overfeed. once a week the tank gets feed either brine shrimp or blood worms instead of flakes/pellets.

any advise would be greatly appreciated

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually that is not uncommon for ghosties, from what I've heard. They have a high prey drive. It's not something you can get rid of unless you don't allow them to inhabit the same level as the endlers. For example, if the enders are top level (I don't know), you wouldn't want to have sticks or high plants where the ghosties could hide in wait.

OP
U

userdan06

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well the enders are kinda everywhere, about 70% stay mid to top and about 30% hang out near the bottom, I have 2 that think they are khulI loaches, they hide under the driftwood with them, come out and do the big circle swims with them. I'll upload pics of the tank shortly.

OP
U

userdan06

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
if it works, here are a few pics, tank and offending shrimp

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are all those white things in your tank? Looks like it's snowing!

Your tank is perfect for predator but not so perfect for prey. I'm afraid if you have those two species together, there's probably not much you can do to avoid what's happening.

I love your tank, by the way. Really nice.

OP
U

userdan06

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks, lol unfortunately those are Malaysian trumpet snails. I've been working on a slow and steady removal of them. 50/60 a night on lettuce and no end in sight.

Stunner

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Awesome tank! Can you move the ghost shrimps to another tank?

OP
U

userdan06

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've got a 5.5 that I'm breeding endler/guppy high-breeds. I don't want to move them into there either. I could try to put them in a breeder net for a few days and drop them off at the LFS. the hard part is trying to catch them

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ghost shrimp will climb right out of a breeder's net.

userdan06 said:
I can honestly say I overfeed.
This is why you have the explosion of snails..... fast your fish for a few days and it might help, but you'll still need to handpick out tons of them. Basically, any that you see, grab. Because for each one you see, there are 20 that you can't.

I would suggest you start feeding every other or even every third day, a small amount, until your snail problem is cleaned up.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love the MTS and have them in all my tanks (even with the Clown Loach).

The less food you put in the fewer you will have (but you'll always have lots).

Stop wasting your life trying to get rid of them. Resistance is futile!

One day MTS will rule the world, mark my words.

OP
U

userdan06

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't mind them, its just that I think 1/2 inch of my substrate is actually snails. maybe I should invest in another tank and a puffer.... oh well one problem at a time, hopefully I can catch the ghost shrimp and move it to the LFS tomorrow

OP
U

userdan06

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok! now we are getting somewhere, found a shop to take them, its a bit of a ride but I do a fair bit of business with them. now to try to catch the ghost shrimp before they close...

They also have a way for me to filter out a lot of my snails, its a semI wide screened net, big enough holes for my sand substrate to slip threw, but small enough to catch most of the snails. the only problem is it will require me to remove all my plants and such to scoop threw all the sand. I really need to thin out the grasses in my tank anyway.

New Threads