Supavisor Pete's start into SW

SupavisorPete

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I'm starting my first SW tank about 10 months after helping a friend start his. He went SW I went planted fresh. My tank is 29 gallon tall with a ten sump. My plan is to have my heaters, my protein skimmer, and some live rock with macro in it 3 chambers(hopefully) I'm going to buy my sw from the LFS because the water where i live is drinkable but contaminated with jet fuel and sulfuric acid (my favorite!) and ro system is too much right now. I started this thread because i have a bunch of ?s for now.

First will my set up be big enough to allow a diamond goby(and an anenome+clown with clean up crew,hopefully) and if so how deep should my sand be, also will aragonite work with a diamond goby or are the particles too big?

Second, in my sump area I have 21" of vertical clearance, and the protein skimmer I would like to use is a Aqua c Urchin, which is 19" tall but needs 23" of clearance; my question is if I get the model with a built in drain on the collection cup, do I need 23" of clearance still?

My plan for Live rock is I have ordered 50lbs of dead rock harvested from an ancient inland reef, (I like to be environmental) I want to seed this with some Florida aqua cultured live rock from the LFS. How long should I allow for seeding? Can I seed when I start my cycling, in my tank?

Pics to come of the work I've already done.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I hope you're enjoying Fishlore

The diamond goby falls into the same category as the mandarin goby. The diamond primarily feeds on pods found in the sand bed. For this reason, it is recommended that a diamond goby be kept in a 55G tank. I would not put one in a 29G, it'll grow too big (6"), and won't have enough sand to find food in. But aragonite sand shouldn't be a problem.

Skimmer height: You still need to be able to get the cup out to clean all the gunk off the walls of the cup - it gets nasty inside skimmer cups
Is there a particular reason you want the Urchin? I'd consider the Tunze 9004 or 9006 for a 29G, you should be able to comfortably get that into your working space.

Seeding your rock generally takes about 4 weeks. But more important than seeding the rock, is cycling the tank. Cycling can take anywhere from 1 week to 12 weeks.

SupavisorPete

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey Ryanr, thank you for the recommendation on the skimmer, sounds like that one is the one I need, and again on the diamond goby do you have any other suggestions for sand sifting animals?

On another note I plumbed in my pump only to realize that it needs a constant feed rather than being able to suck up water. so back to the drawing board

SupavisorPete

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know its been awhile but I thought I'd re-up this post with some pics and what not.

529435_475645225829438_1804557904_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice looking setup SupavisorPete!

Also, those facebook links are broken so I removed them.

SupavisorPete

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
64853_475645449162749_1435839810_n.jpg
light bulb anemone in a dead clam shell

307982_475645502496077_913428599_n.jpg
flower anemones
385512_475645399162754_1032833090_n.jpg
more flower anemones
536161_475645315829429_1279688011_n.jpg
whole set up

its a 29 gallon tall, with a sump that is about ten, I replaced the glass one with an acrylic (long story). I finally figured out how to do pics...I think lol

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have to agree with Mike.

Those look very much like aiptasia.

SupavisorPete

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not sure either way, to be honest. The one in the clam shell is a light bulb and is supposedly non aggressive, So until I see other wise I'll keep him. however as far as the others, I'm gonna say you're probably right. Supposedly they are called flower anemones, and are semi aggressive. The problem is that there isn't much info on these little critters. Be that as it may, and the young age of my tank and SW experience, I'm gonna run with em til they become a problem, or until I know exactly what they are, and when I do find out I will post about it

SupavisorPete

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yuppp, they are in fact aiptasia, I finally got the LFS guy alone when his boss wasn't around, and made him tell me as I drown him underwater...lol jk, but seriously had to ask some tough questions to get it out him. However the lightbulb anemone is actually not aiptasia and has grown quite a bit

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom