Sunsun Vs Fluval Canisters

Aricafeesh
I am looking to purchase a new canister filter for my 55 gallon freshwater. I was originally going to get a fluval 306, but I just stumbled upon a SunSun HW-304B with UV sterilizers. Do you think this would be a better bet? I don't know anything about the SunSun filter so I figured I would come here for advice or opinions.

AllieSten
The Fluval is much much better quality. Without a doubt.

I have the SunSun 304b on my 55g. It works very very well. You need to know that the UV light will destroy your media trays at some point. People report anywhere from 18months to 2 years. I personally only keep the UV light on over the weekends, and turn it off during the week. That way I can prolong the wear on the baskets.

Aside from the tray issue, I highly recommend it.

Here is a tutorial on the SunSun itself. The guy is a little passionate, and has financial ties to biohome media. I personally followed everything, except I used ceramic rings instead of biohome. Works perfectly fine.

SixThreeOh
I know a lot of people suggest SunSun canisters, but I don't have any experience with them. I did get a SunSun 13w UV sterilizer a few weeks ago. It was very poor quality and lasted about 20 hours before I got shocked. Luckily none of my fish were harmed.

DarkOne
When I was looking for a canister, I went with a Fluval after reading tons of reviews on all different brands. Seems that Fluval had the least negative reviews and I like that replacement parts are readily available. They are a bit more expensive but I thought it was worth it to me. I have a 206, 306, 406 and FX4 now.

The video AllieSten posted is great for general canister setup and theory.

Joe wood
The Fluval is much much better quality. Without a doubt.

I have the SunSun 304b on my 55g. It works very very well. You need to know that the UV light will destroy your media trays at some point. People report anywhere from 18months to 2 years. I personally only keep the UV light on over the weekends, and turn it off during the week. That way I can prolong the wear on the baskets.

Aside from the tray issue, I highly recommend it.

Here is a tutorial on the SunSun itself. The guy is a little passionate, and has financial ties to biohome media. I personally followed everything, except I used ceramic rings instead of biohome. Works perfectly fine.

If worried about the uv, sunsun makes the 304a series and I believe a 704a as well with no uv light.

Thunder_o_b
The thing is (my opinion) UV units in a canister are a gimmick. The water flows too quickly for it to be effective. I have the Mean Green Killing Mechine in all of our aquariums but the 10 gallon betta aquarium. They run 24/7. I do shut them down for three days after I add any bacteria supplements.

Before you spend your money may I recommend that you also consider the Marineland Magnaflow 360? I have three of them (4 of the older Magnum 350's) and have found them to be a brilliant, trouble free design. I plan to get two more.

Marineland Magniflow™ Canister Filter

Cichlidude
Well considering just about all canisters have about $30 in parts and cost between $70-250 take your pick. I've have a Sunsun 303B for about 7 years now. I agree with the above that the UV light is a gimmick in them. I do have a Sunsun Jup23 13w UV light going on 7 years also that is running in the tank right now. I think I have only about 1000 hours on the 4000 hour rated bulb. I only run it about a week at a time when I think I need it.

For your 55 gallon you want a total of about 550 gph rated filters from the manufacturer.

jaysurf7
I would say fluval ,not to say sun sun isn't good also ,but the quality of fluval imo is fantastic.I have a fluval 303 still up and running for over 20 years now and still pretty much like the day I got it,its the older model though,but the new ones are just as good from what I hear.Plus if you ever need replacement parts you can get them online.I ordered extra seal rings in case I ever need it, always good to have some extra parts in case you need them.

goldface
Very happy with my SunSun after over a year of use.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NicoFord
  • Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
brahms
Replies