55 Gallon Tank Sunsun HW303B flow direction

nacskins

Looking to get a Sunsun HW303B canister filter for my 55 gal tank in addition to my Marineland emperor 400. My question is which direction is the water flow on this canister, does the intake start at the top then flow down through the baskets and out the side or down the side up through the baskets and out the top? which level bottom or top basket is the first flow through? Also any advice or opinions on this filter also welcome Thank you.

Jomolager

Water goes up from the bottom of the canister through various media and sponges.

There is also a small preFilter canister they now sell that has thick various grade sponges only. Supposedly tank water starts in the bottom of the preFilter canister, then goes to the bottom of the larger canister. Than back to your tank.

nacskins

Thank you, do you know the name of it?

Jomolager

You want the name of preFilter? The one I've just bought on Amazon is called SUN SUN Outside filter HW 603.

The sponges look very impressive. BUT I did not notice admonition that I needed to buy ahose to connect it to the main filter. I am in the process of deciding whether I want to buy a set of Replacement hoses for SunSun canister, or whether I am going to empty the tank and cut off a short piece from the hoses I now have.

Decisions, decisions!!! LOL.

The way it works: you connect the output( dirty water from the tank) directly to the bottom of the preFilter canister, connect the output from this canister to the output of the large canister. Don't have to do anything to the hose carrying the clean water to the tank.

I hope I did not obfuscate the information

nacskins

cool, thank you appreciate the info. Just learning all I can about canister filters as I have always used HOB. Canisters seem more customizable which I like. I'm in the process of trying to sell or trade a homebrew kit to fund it lol.

nacskins

So I understand correctly "dirty water" goes down then up thru the levels and comes up clean

nacskins

On the fluval 306 for example you can see where the dirty water goes down, I do not see that area on the sunsun.

Jomolager

I am a Fluval fan, but I bought a sunsun canister just to see why everybody was raving about canisters. I read about everybody's complaints about them and solutions offered by others. I now have 3 SunSuns plus a minI one that has not been connected yet. I now can clean the media in my Sunsun and instantly restart it without priming faster then I can clean and restart my Fluval C4.

The dirty water from the tank enters the SunSun canister on the top, it goes straight down to the bottom of the canister via a fairly narrow tube created by the media trays, and then it goes up through the sponges and media in the trays.

It is very clear and simple how it works.

nacskins

Narrow tube created by the uv light part? the uv light is in 1st stages of the filter?

Jomolager

AI don't have uv light on any of my canisters. Early on I read that uv attachment that comes with SunSun canisters is worthless, so I never got it. Correct me, please, if that was a mistake.

Ohiotank

No the UV light in the canister is only strong enough to kill some algae spores and has been effective for me. If you want UV sterilizer (overkill for freshwater IMO) then you need to look at marine type sterilizers that have lower gph pumps and higher watt UV bulbs.

nacskins

Thanks, not really worried about the UV capability as more interested in the flow direction and seeing how it should flow before purhasing.

Ohiotank

I love the sun sun for the $$$ as stated above the flow is bottom to top. I simply run course sponges in the bottom and ceramic rings in the middle two and seachem matrix in the top topped with polyester batting from the fabric store (which is the only thing I change out). I run two on my 75gal.

Latest threads

Top Bottom